Asuramaru (阿修羅丸 Ashūramaru?, lit. "Perfect Asura"), birth name Ashera Tepes (アシェラ・ツェペシ Ashera Tsepeshi?), is the older brother of Krul Tepes and a high-ranked possession-type demon of the Black Demon Series. He formed a contract with Yūichirō Hyakuya and became his Cursed Gear in Seraph of the End: Vampire Reign.
He also appears in Seraph of the End: Guren Ichinose:Catastrophe at Sixteen as the cursed gear of Mahiru Hīragi.
NOTE: His name is spelled "Ashuramaru" in Catastrophe.
Asuramaru appears as an androgynous adolescent male with long dark purple hair that goes beyond his feet while his bangs cover his left eye. As a vampire-gone-demon, he has red eyes, fangs, and pointed ears. When the curse restraint loosens, his horns grow larger and the nails on his hands and feet become claw like.
He wears a sleeveless open-back dress including a collar with gold beads covering his throat. The chest piece is black while the rest of the dress is white, and the gown splits open at his outer thighs which frees his legs for movement. He wears black sleeves separated from the gown that reach his mid-upper arms and come down to his middle fingers, where each sleeve is attached to a ring. He is barefoot.
On his head is a headband formed of two parallel golden strips that match the horns piercing through his hair from the edge of his hairline.
He shares some resemblance with his sister Krul such as the horns with the exception being white and the rings on his sleeves with only two of them being white, both of them have long hair with Asuramaru hair is unsteady.
As Asuramaru exists as a mental concept, he can appear as anyone within Yu's memories he chooses. He often takes the forms of the 12-year-old Mikaela Hyakuya as well as Akane Hyakuya, the other Hyakuya orphans, or even Yu's parents. He chooses his forms depending on what he believes will be best for breaking his host's will.
1,000 years ago prior to the series, before turning into a demon, when he was human, he had blue eyes and wore a black shirt underneath with white sleeves. The outer line of his shirt is colored thin white and he wore black trousers held with a white belt. He has bandages wrapped around both his legs from his feet to his knees, and wears sandals. He ties his short hair similar to a ponytail.
Ashera, in his days as a human one thousand years ago prior to the series, enjoyed viewing the blue sky and gazing at the sun. He regrets leaving his sister behind and becoming a demon. He also cares for his family. Unlike his sister, Ashera was not thankful for everything they had since he was from a noble family.
Asuramaru is a blood-thirsty demon who was originally a vampire. He delights in drinking Yu's blood and goes into a giddy high after Yu feeds it to him for the first time. As a possession-type demon, he is described as particularly nasty and aggressive.
Like all demons, he is manipulative and uses nightmares to consume the one he possesses in order to take over his host's body. At the beginning of the series, he interrupts his host's dreams every night, making Yu tired during the day. After all, the only reason he allows Yu to borrow his power is for the future opportunity to take over his body.
After Yu loosens the curse on him and the two battle for dominance, Asuramaru eventually gives in to Yu's compassion and submits to him, which also includes him to stop giving Yu nightmares.
Even so, Asuramaru thinks of humans as vile, greedy creatures who are even worse than vampires and demons. He considers them to be taboo-breakers who will destroy the world, and also thinks no better of angels as he considers them to be disgusting. Although he is fully aware of Yu going insane on the battlefield and of the experimentation done on him, Asuramaru does not reveal any of these vital secrets to his host, thus he is more of a trusted enemy rather than a friend or ally.
Despite his hatred of angels, he helped Yu with his battle against the 6th trumpet after Yu convinced him. As time passes he becomes more considered, and curious, wanting to know about Yu's past, and in turn Yu later asks him about his past life. Much later Yu saves him from Shikama Doji.
Asuramaru becomes seriously annoyed when someone else disrupts his mind, much as Shikama Doji did. Asuramaru has also shown solicitude for his host Yu, as shown when he tried to get Yu out of Shikama Doji's grasp, hinting that he cares for Yu's status.
Ashera Tepes was born in a noble family with his sister Krul, where they spent their days cheerfully, and Ashera enjoyed staring at the sky and the sun. One day, he was staring at the sun on a grassy hill when Krul tells him that their mother was looking for them. The two have a conversation about Ashera's interest in staring at the sun that started with Krul disagreeing as their mother told her that would burn their eyes. Ashera then asks Krul about what did their mother want, Krul says it's time for lunch. After a little argument, both of them go back to have lunch.
However, they see their house being burned down, worried they rush over there only to find their mother as she screams to both of them to run not long after she's been speared in the stomach. The rebels screams to kill all the children of nobility but they decide to sell them as slavery. As Krul and Ashera separate, as Ashera looks at the sun for the last time.
A memory shows during the Dark ages of Greece, Ashera was lying with a ball and chain around his leg, he thinks of Krul and whether she is dead by now. Outside his prison he hears a buyer has been found for him, it is Sika Madu and Ashera is bought with his chains removed by Yu. When Ashera asks Yu if he is a bought child as well, Ashera becomes confused by Yu's reactions notably his lack of memory. He considers Yu so weird before being told for them to be off by Sika Madu. Ashera pauses before being struck on his head by a slave dealer where he then heads outside shielding his head from the bright sun. Even though he is a slave now the sun has not dimmed at all.
He walks behind Sika Madu through a market square and observes children nearby getting abused. Ashera registers that it looks like his life is about to get a lot rougher and spotting a young girl makes him think of Krul. His stomach rumbling is noticed by Sika Madu and Ashera listens to the conversation on eating between Sika Madu and Yu. He addresses Sika Madu as master when told they are having lunch, yet as he eats he accidentally spills food down himself. He hastily apologizies with the reason he was just really hungry. Told he holds his spoon very nicely, the reminder from Sika Madu that he used to be nobility makes Ashera appear downtrodden. Assured he need not look so glum Ashera hears he will not be mistreated or anything, he was bought to be a house boy. As he thinks what being a house boy will mean he looks over to Yu collapsing from eating too much and listens with unease as he casually discusses his height with Sika Madu.
Asked if he has finished eating, Ashera replies yes thanking master and saying he has had his fill. Walking through the streets Ashera initiates conversation with Yu, first explaining that he knows Yu's name because he heard master call him that. He is taken aback further when Yu points to himself and not sure what it is Ashera says he is confused before realizing that Yu wants him to return the question. He does, asking Yu how he knows his name and Ashera agrees with Yu's assessment that he is amazing for him figuring out Ashera's name since he heard Sika Madu call him that with his own ears, and appears quite alarmed at Yu's sense of achievement at this accomplishment.
As they continue walking Ashera questions Yu on what kind of duties does he normally have, making the question clearer on what Yu does between waking up and going to sleep. From Yu's description of his activities Ashera says it sounds like he just plays all day before asking if he is not a slave but moves on from explaining what a slave is to one last question. Apprehensively he raises whether master buys child slaves a lot. With Yu not knowing, Ashera refines the question to night time, namely whether he summons Yu at night at all, specifically to his chamber. Awaiting Yu's answer Ashera lowers his head upon hearing the answer is yes.
Piecing together that master has bought child slaves before, enough to be a regular at the slave dealers, Ashera draws his own conclusion on what it means that Sika Madu is buying children that often, that the ones he buys die so quickly he needs to get more.
A path leads to Sika Madu's secluded residence where inside Ashera is given a change of clothes by attendants. He is not in the mood to play with toys when Yu offers him a snake but does humor Yu that is it so fun to make sound effects for the toy. Ashera says he gets it and when he gets a little more used to life here he will play that with Yu. This is provided master decides he likes him and he survives.
By night time Ashera sits alone in a room flinching when the door is knocked. He hears from a hooded figure that master has summoned him and he heads down the halls to a another room. He walks clutching his chest wondering is there a point, really any reason to do even this just to survive. Beginning to shed tears Ashera thinks to his mother that he is scared, and remembering his mother and Krul he wishes that he had gone to have one last meal with them. Thinking of Krul specifically, Ashera wipes his tears with the thought that Krul might still be alive somewhere and may be waiting for him to rescue her. Determined, he has to make sure he lives as he comes to the door.
Reaching towards the handle then hesitating, Ashera knocks announcing that it is him and might he come in. With no response Ashera enters the room saying to please pardon him but finds Yu alone in the room. Saying his name Ashera then witnesses Yu scream in pain as three pairs of six large feathered wings appear on Yu’s back, to Ashera's astonishment.
Looking shocked at Yu before him in his state Ashera is joined by Sika Madu where he receives apologies, hearing his timing is not best. Told to step outside slowly and close the door, Ashera stands rooted to the spot nervously asking what is all this. Told that Yu is not terribly fond of humans at the moment, Ashera is then charged at by Yu but spared by Sika Madu's swift intervention as he seizes Yu by the neck Seeing feathers falling around as Yu struggles to break free and not being able to get words out, Ashera is again ordered to step outside. Seeing Yu enraged and cutting his own arm off to free himself, Ashera makes it outside the room and closes the double doors. Still in shock he wonders what that was and what in heavens name is happening. He falls on his back as Yu smashes the doors open and Ashera is stabbed through the chest by Yu's hand.
Ashera thinks that was the moment he died, it ended all too quickly. As he is taken out off Sika Madu's manor and into the night sky with Yu still keeping a hold of him, Ashera tries to reason that this is just a dream. Concluding that both Krul and he really did die that day so long ago, he figures he is now dreaming. If this is his dream, then he feels he must be in hell. He falls to the ground far below after Yu's head is slashed by Sika Madu who has joined them in the air.
Lying back on the ground Ashera is breathing, and he looks over to see Yu's crumpled wings nearby. Sika Madu also has seraph wings and descends to where Ashera is. He hears that his heart is crushed with his entire skeleton broken as well and has some blood coming out his mouth is examined by Sika Madu. Told pain is proof that he lives, Ashera remains alive since before he died, some of Yu's blood dripped into his mouth and it is compatible.
Gripped and held upwards by his neck by Sika Madu, Ashera hears how he has continued his experiments for six hundred years now. Not having the strength to regenerate on his own Ashera is thrown to the floor before being asked if he wants to drink his blood or Yu's. Not answering, Ashera hears a rephrased question namely if he has a reason to live on and is there anything he must do. Ashera thinks yes, he must save his sister, and his eyes signal to Sika Madu that he wants to live. Yu's detached head is held over his face and Ashera is told in exchange he will be of use to Sika Madu. All the while Ashera assures himself this is a nightmare filled with horrifying monsters but if that is what it takes to find Krul. Yu’s blood drips into his mouth and Ashera survives it.
He awakens up in a throne with Urd Geales and Rigr Stafford with him who notice he is awake. Whilst they talk, Ashera finds his wounds have healed and he is somehow not dead. It is strange for him since he can almost see the air itself move and can hear sound from far away. He is advised by Urd to not fear having shed his humanity and permitted to become a superior being that surpasses humans. Aware of how so thirsty he is specifically for human blood Ashera is told by Rigr to get used to it, it will not ever truly go away.Ashera walks past them both, he is not relaxed and wonders what is happening and where who he calls Siga Madu is. He he can hear sound and feel his presence, then enters a spacious room with many large fluid filled cylinders each with a singular black substance floating within. Perplexed, he asks himself what in heavens name is this before spotting Yu seated on another throne ahead. Ashera calls to him surprised and remarks his head is back on. Sika Madu comments that he is finally awake and Ashera demands to know what did Sika Madu do to him and what has he become. He witnesses a black spectral mass hovering above Yu's head produce long tentacles that make contact with Yu's dazed appearing head and clenching his fist he asks Siga Madu what is this place. Ashera hears simply that it is hell, it is where poor sinners who have lost their way gather desperately seeking to return to the light. Verbally prodded on whether this is the question he should ask, Ashera is also reminded if there is not something he needs to do so badly that he just had to live. There is now he has the power to do so, it concerns his sister and Ashera proclaims he must find Krul.
One thousand years ago he gets convinced by Sika Madu to travel with him to the island that will become japan and become a demon as he must "go for their future" naming him Asuramaru as a demon. His disappearance with the First Progenitor prompts Krul's search for him.
Many years after his rebirth as a demon, Asuramaru is sealed within a katana by humans and chained in place by a curse where he becomes Mahiru Hīragi's weapon. After Mahiru's death, he becomes recognized as part of the Black Demon Series.
Mahiru summons Asuramaru to slay a vampire that tracked her to Tokyo.
Asuramaru is being used by Mahiru to fend off four vampires on the freeway, but ends up getting separated from her when the latter gets captured. Guren then finds him somewhere in the huge car pileup that resulted from Mahiru and the vampires' battle before the demon katana immediately vanishes. He then appears suddenly in a sheath at the love hotel Guren and his squad were staying at. It's revealed that instead of vanishing back at the freeway, Guren's cursed weapon, Noya, actually took Asuramaru and had been holding onto it. Asuramaru comes at Guren, but was smacked away by Shinya which separated the blade from its sheath. The sealed demon fills the air with a sharp piercing crack before lodging itself into the ceiling.
Asuramaru was taken by Guren to be experimented on by the Hīragis which led to them learning more about demons.
Story: Vampire Reign
Second Shibuya High Arc
Asuramaru first appears when Lieutenant Colonel Guren Ichinose takes his new recruits into a ceremonial room where the Black Demon Series weapons are located. To enter the contract ceremony, Yūichirō Hyakuya selects Asuramaru's sword before entering the spell circle and draws the blade to begin the contract ceremony. Asuramaru immediately thrusts Yu into an illusion where he is surrounded by his slaughtered family members. He approaches Yu in the form of a twelve-year-old Mikaela and accuses Yu of abandoning them. Yu warns him not to use his name like that and calls him out as a demon. He says for it to stop pretending to be his family. Asuramaru comments that he thought he was touching his most tender memories and finds it strange that Yu didn't even flinch.
Yu exclaims that he knows how demons work and orders him to give up and give him power. Letting the form of Mika collapse, Asuramaru rises as a black formless mass and impales Yu. He realizes that Yu fought a low-rank Myo-o demon before. The demon asks why he wants power so much; inquiring if its for his revenge. Yu says yes and Asuramaru asks if it's because he lost something precious. Yu replies yes again, saying that the kids from the orphanage were the first real family he had and he lost them.Asuramaru says he will lend Yu his power as he likes strong desires. If Yu wants power for revenge alone then he will give him unlimited power. But then Yu hears someone say that it's not enough. Yu turns his head to see the corpses of the children from the orphanage lying on the ground behind him. Akane says that he has to live for revenge in truth now or else they can't give him power. He then hears Mika telling him to give up his love as they hate that more than anything. They like greed and can't stand love. They ask him if he is going to go off and make new friends and be happy without them. Yu tries to explain but Mika says that it's not fair that Yu was the only one to survive and that he left them to die.Yu tells Asuramaru to shut up and just give him his power because he needs enough power to protect everyone. He glows brightly, surprising Asuramaru. He comments about Yu's incredible contradiction of love and lust and states that this is the reason why humans destroy the world. He says Yu interests him and he will obey him as long as his heart remains strong and warns him the moment he senses any weakness, he will take over Yu's body. He asks if Yu agrees with this and he does. He tells Yu that he will be his then and tells Yu his name, and when he wants powers, just call out his name.
Asuramaru also informs Yu that he is 1/10th not human and suggests humans modified him in some abnormal way. He comments that humans are more frightening than vampires, and even more frightening than demons and finds it odd to explain it to a human. When asked, Asuramaru refuses to explain and declares that their contract is complete. He says to Yu that he will be his power as well as his blade. He then tells Yu to open his eyes and let his greed grow. Finally he tells Yu to slice the world open.
It is revealed that Asuramaru has been tormenting Yu in his dreams every night since Yu formed the contract with him. He takes the form of Mika and accuses Yu of leaving him behind.
Yu meets Asuramaru in his mind when the drugs he ingested take effect and force him to transform and lose control. Yu asks if Asuramaru is trying to take over, and Asuramaru denies it. He calls Yu monstrous and states that Mika was right. He says the two should run as far away from humans as they can before Yu loses his humanity altogether. Then, he says they are out of time after all.
He is next seen when Yu does battle with the demon as part of his advanced training to take his power to the next level, and it lasts for over 20 hours. In Yu's mind, Asuramaru giggles and gasps with delight at the taste of Yu's blood, making Yu calmly respond that Asuramaru is acting like a vampire. Asuramaru tells him that demons are the mere shadows of what used to be a vampire. He wants Yu to give him more of his blood, his body, his mind, everything before leaping at Yu.
Chains start binding him, restraining his movements. Yu asks him about the chains holding Asuramaru prisoner and he explains to Yu that it's the sorcery that humans completed in order to curse the demons and bind them and they are trapped by it. Yu asks him if it's painful. Perplexed, Asuramaru denies any pain. He wonders why Yu would worry about him and Yu responds by saying that he doesn't, he just hates painful things. He answers that of course he does and calls Yu weird.
Yu returns back on topic and asks Asuramaru what he should do as he heard that if he sucked his blood, the Cursed Gear would advance. Asuramaru tells Yu that when he drinks blood, the demon curse's restraining force goes down. He says to move on even further, he needs to explain a variety of things to Yu. When Yu is confused by this, Asuramaru says that the explanation about this curse and the contract was something that the humans decided. If he doesn't tell Yu, he'll be stuck in the demon curse chains and won't be able to move. Yu asks if it's a man made curse which Asuramaru confirms and that humans sure are scary because they keep putting their hands on forbidden techniques. He also says that the thing inside Yu is quite terrible as well. Yu does not remember losing control and Asuramaru laughs, saying that humans sure are terrible.
Disregarding it as something that has nothing to do with him, Asuramaru explains the rules to loosen the demon curse binding force. Simply put, he will attack Yu and every time he takes one of those attacks, his willpower will go down. If Yu's willpower goes down, he'll be taken over. Yu finds it odd that it is essentially Asuramaru trying to take over him. Asuramaru tells him that its a demon's objective to and only reason why they listen to humans. Asuramaru then tells him that if Yu is able to cut him with the sword, his own willpower will go down, and that if Yu crushes his heart, it's game over and he wins.He warns Yu that he won't even be able to touch the sword before he starts to break the chains. He tells Yu that because he explained the rules, the curse's restraining force weakened. Asuramaru is almost totally free of the chains and wants to start the fight so they'll see who the real master is. He keeps talking about the restrains weakening, and his reasoning is fading. He wants Yu's everything and then tells him to die. He then attacks Yu, knocking him back. He gets on top of him and teasingly asks him if he is in pain but he says that he won't let Yu die. He reiterates that Yu will have a nightmare every time he takes one of his attacks and his spirit will be brought down. He wonders how long he will last.
The illusion shows Mika calling Yu terrible for leaving him behind and Akane saying that it's the reason why Mika was turned into a vampire and that it's all his fault. Yu coughs up blood but breaks free, telling Asuramaru that he won't give in to something like that. Unabashed, Asuramaru says he will as the demon curse has gotten weaker and so he will touch Yu's true darkness and let his rages and desires run wild. He then bites Yu which shows him another illusion.
Yu appears as a child, when he was still at home with his parents. In a room with a tipped-over table and bottles on the floor with papers, pens, and drinks spilled, Yu faces his them both. His mother kneels on the ground in the kitchen with her back to him while his father curses him, calling him demon spawn. He says he must kill the Seraph of the End as soon as possible or else the world will be ruined. Yu notices his dad holding a large knife and tries to plead with him, saying that he'll be a good kid. He dad tells him that killing Yu is the right thing to do. Yu cries that he's not the devil and runs and his dad chases Yu into a massive apartment hallway, where he sees Akane and Mika again. Mika says that because Yu ran away, he became a vampire. and Akane wishes that Yu hadn't come to the orphanage since everything's gone horribly wrong since he came and that he should've just died here. Yu's dad appears in the doorway, he says for him to die as this is the end for him and that he will disappear here. The illusion of his dad stabs Yu through his back and left side of his chest.
Yu says he will not go berserk over something like that. He talks about the promise he made to Mika as he was the first person to ever need him. He visualizes a kind twelve-year-old Mika before him who says that they'll protect their family and that he will be counting on him. When he asks Yu if it's alright with him, Yu says that it is because Mika wanted him, and that he will definitely save him. Yu wakes up with tears in his eyes.
Annoyed, Asuramaru thought that he had won and Yu says that he already knows how to fight. Yu summons the sword and Asuramaru compliments him but tells him not to kid himself, noting that he must have gotten weaker, he even calls him a demon that wasn't wanted by anyone and discarded by his parents. Yu tells him that those kinds of words don't hurt him anymore and that he is fine with being a demon. He says that if Mika, Guren, Shinoa, Yoichi or Kimizuki need him, he doesn't care about something like that.
Asuramaru says that him being defiant kind off annoys him and Yu asks him what he's gonna do about it, to which Asuramaru tells him that he'll kill him. Yu throws away his sword, deciding against attacking Asuramaru, saying that if he did, Asuramaru would see a nightmare like he did and he does not hurt his friends, which makes Asuramaru laugh. He says that Yu is being naive but Yu says that he doesn't care if Asuramaru is a demon as he needs him. Yu asks him to be his friend in order to save Mika and his family. In exchange, Yu says he will be Asuramaru's friend since Asuramaru must be awfully lonely. Asuramaru agrees to let Yu possess him. He tells Yu to grab the sword and when he does, he feels the power flowing through him.
Yu can now perform Asura-Kannon.
After overdosing on cursed gear pills, to increase his power, Yu coughs up blood. Inside his mind, Asuramaru, calling him hopeless, comments on how Yu appeared to give up on revenge and then became obsessed with living and family. He asks Yu if he wants power that badly. Yu says he does need power to save Guren. He begs Asuramaru to give him power.
Asuramaru says yes. If Yu wants power, he’ll give him all he asks for and more since he feeds on ugly human emotions like obsession and greed. However he complains that the pills Yu took before are a problem as they force the curse to go crazy while keeping his greed in check. Asuramaru says that the contradiction won’t do. He states that Yu cannot expect to just take drugs and get stronger without any consequences so Yu asks how he can get stronger.
Asuramaru says he can’t answer that as Yu is in fact already dead. He says that it was a quick death. Yu took so much of the drug that all his internal organs ruptured and his heart exploded. He says while he has powerful regenerative abilities, but that kind of damage is beyond him. He says Yu’s done. Dead. Then, he amends his statement, saying that at least he should be.
The only reason he isn’t is because of those disgusting angels. Their power is forcibly keeping him alive. They peer into the background of Yu's mind and see something lying on the ground. Yu asks Asuramaru what it is. He says he doesn’t know but from there it looks like a trumpet. Yu has the urge to take the trumpet, but Asuramaru warns him not to take it and insists that Yu take him instead since angels can be far nastier than demons.
Asuramaru notices that Yu’s heart has starting beating again and says that now that it’s fixed, he can take care of the rest.
He stabs into Yu's abdomen, telling him not to go with the trumpeters and instead stay with him, accept him. He tells Yu that he can heal him but when he tries to he says that he cannot return Yu to normal. He complains that Yu lost even more of his humanity than before and has become even uglier. Asuramaru orders him to never do that again and claims Yu's body is his. Yu says he does not care and demands Asuramaru's power. Asuramaru calls him a greedy little human wretch and tells Yu that he has already given it to him as three pills worth of the drug is in effect. He can use all his strength for the next two to three minutes without becoming a demon. Asuramaru then tells Yu to awaken.
During Yu’s fight with Crowley, he demands Asuramaru to give him enough power to save Guren and to save his friends. He wants Asuramaru to give him the power to protect his family. Asuramaru is delighted to help, especially now that the drug has completely worn off. Now he can give Yu all the power he desires. He tells him to need it, crave it and let his greed rule.
After they are knocked unconscious by Kimizuki and Kiseki-o's Devil's Coffin ability , Asuramaru praises Yu’s honesty toward his desire and love and mentions how good and evil mean nothing when it comes to protecting Yu’s family. He says Yu is broken. Asuramaru tempts him with power again, but Yu turns him down.
He reappears when the trumpet from before rests between him and Yu. Asuramaru scolds him for being so greedy and says he does not
have enough power to give them. He calls Yu a traitor and says Yu is betraying him by taking up that trumpet. He says that is the worst decision he could make and says that will erase what is left of Yu's humanity. Yu answers that he does not really care as long as he can protect his family. He blows into the trumpet and is consumed by a massive power that splits the clouds. Continuing from that, after awakening in his seraph mode, Asuramaru appears in front of him. He tells Yu not to kill the humans since he does not desire human deaths. When Yu asks who Asuramaru is, Asuramaru tells him to be silent and calls him an angel. He says he is not speaking to the angel but rather to Yu. He says he will help Yu control the angel as long as Yu draws his sword. He says that Yu may be able to contain the seraph by becoming a full demon. The seraph within Yu in turn orders Asuramaru to be silent and says that humanity sees its end today. Asuramaru ignores him and tells Yu to let out his greed and desire. He tells him to accept his inner demon.
Yu's left hand slowly begins reaching for his cursed gear. The angel yells at the humans to stop and not reach further into the forbidden.
Yu grabs the cursed gear, and Asuramaru grins with delight. A pair of horns sprout from Yu's head. He shouts that he is going to save his family and stabs himself through the chest with the cursed gear sword. He plummets to the ground but not before Narumi catches him.
Some time after the group runs from the airport, Ferid and Crowley track them to their refuge in a small village. When Yu surrenders to the vampires, Ferid presents Akane's head in a jar, which sends Yu's demon out of control and attempts to kill Ferid. In his struggle to regain control of himself, Mika orders Yu to suppress it. Yu tells him to shut up and says he just needs more power and contacts Asuramaru.
The demon calls Yu a greedy namanari. When Yu asks what that is, Asuramaru explains it and says that this is the third time already. Yu mentions that his memories have been really spotty lately, and Asuramaru says that his human self does not want to deal with the memories of his demon self and hides them away. Asuramaru says that he could take three pills and not die because he is no longer human. Asuramaru asks Yu to let him take over for just an instant. He says he will not kill anybody, but Yu will want to kill all of his friends. Asuramaru says he only needs three seconds.
Yu tells Asuramaru to stop lying to him because he has his own will and knowledge. Yu says he will not become a demon, and Asuramaru asks if that is his human or demon side talking since they are now inseparable. Yu says he does not really care as long as he can protect his friends, but Asuramaru says demons have no friends or family and simply kill everything.
Yu says he supposes he cannot become a demon. When Asuramaru says taking those three pills will make his demon side grow exponentially, Yu shrugs it off, saying it is fine as long as he protects his friends. Asuramaru asks if Yu can hear how much he is contradicting himself. Asuramaru then cuts the conversation short, saying that, this once, Yu will not need the pills because he is about to be rescued by a vampire.
When Yu makes eye contact with Krul, he notes that he thinks he felt Asuramaru's emotions. Asuramaru claims demons don't have emotions, or he didn't think they have any. During the attack on Ky Luc, Asuramaru aids Yu in controlling the seraph, and following the battle, he appears before Yu and comments on the boy's insane predicament of having the drug, seraph, and demon components all in his body. Asuramaru tells Yu that he doesn't care that the drug is slowing down the latter's demon transformation, and if he did take control of Yu's body, Asuramaru says he would search for someone even though he doesn't remember who. Wanting to know why Yu is so self-sacraficing, Asuramaru digs deep into Yu's memories, glossing past the abuse of Yu's parents and the deaths of the Hyakuya orphans to find out why Yu is called "demon spawn". He soon comes upon a memory where a twelve year old Yu is being held in a cell and visited by a teenage girl. At some point in their conversation, a scientist tells the girl that they will be altering Yu's memories, and Asuramaru tried to dig deeper into Yu's memories in order to learn more, but is unable to.
When he tells Yu about the memory in the cell, Yu says he doesn't remember it, so Asuramaru tells him that he was a test subject before he came to the orphanage. The demon also informs Yu that he is unable to learn what Yu was like as a person since the more important memories are gone. Asuramaru then expresses his annoyance about Yu being manipulated, and wishes that it was Yu's desire being the driving force for everyone instead of someone else's. He advises Yu to use his brain or he won't be able to save anyone, and warns Yu to wake up soon or else Mika will be angry again. When Yu was fighting the 6th Trumpet he demanded more power from Asuramaru telling him he need to save him, but Asuramaru berates him telling him he is just a stranger while struggling to keep the angel restricted. Yu states he must have a demon which Asuramaru notices he does and puts more effort into hanging longer after Yu encouragement. Yu later thanks Asuramaru for keeping the angel power in check the whole time.
In his inner world Yu and Asuramaru converse about the latter's memories when Yu asks why the demon is looking at the sky. Asuramaru tells him he doesn't know but for some reason he liked the sky. When asked if it could be an old memory, Asuramaru reveals that some of his faintest memories return when Yu lets his angel go berserk. Yu tells Asuramaru in that case, he would be good to destroy himself, but Asuramaru tells will him to stop being irrational as he would disappear if he does so, and has no desire to to recover his memories. Answering some of Yu's questions about his past, Asuramaru replies that he liked the sun and the sky and thinks he had a younger sister, whom he regrets abandoning which prompts Yu to keep asking more questions and tells him he will help him recover his memories. Eventually Asuramaru collapses from thinking about his memories as his head hurts and falls asleep shortly.
Shikama Doji enters Asuramaru mind telling him to identify himself, Shikama Doji calls him Ashera Tepes to remember him, but Asuramaru calls him a pitiful monster. Shikama Doji mentions that Asuramaru isn't a demon, he demands him to leave but Shikama Doji declines to do so and he fights him. Annoyed at entering his mind he charges towards Shikama Doji summoning his sword which Shikama Doji comments at the weapon he is using now, Shikama Doji summons numerous scythes. When Asuramaru fails to strike him, he takes advantage by affecting Shikama Doji across space claiming it's his territory though he lets his guard down mentioning it's the first time have someone has invaded his mind.
Shikama Doji vanishes and appears behind him holding him in place telling him it's time to remember who he was and what was done to him, he uses his fangs and bites Asuramaru to drink his blood, he remembers walking hand-in-hand with Krul. He calls out for Yu begging for power but Shikama Doji prevents him from borrowing Yu's greed and starts forming a barrier around them. When Yu arrives he rushes to him seeing him being sealed off, Asuramaru is unable to take greed from Yu. However Yu summons his sword to him. Asuramaru returns to sword form allowing him to escape Shikama Doji grasp and then Asuramaru returns to demon form manifesting next to Yu. He informs Yu that he is a very strong monster and fighting him is the only choice.
When Shikama Doji starts to discuss by knowing both Yu and Asuramaru, Asuramaru warns Yu that talking to him is dangerous when Yu asked Shikama Doji questions Asuamaru tells Yu that his voice could spellbind him and ignore him. When Shikama Doji tries to tempt Yu multiple times with information about his past existence, Asuramaru takes action when he falls to Shikama Doji desire, he tries to rescue him but he can't approach Shikama Doji telling him to wait and he will take him with him however Asuramaru responds that he doesn't care about the past and tells Yu to wake up only to find out that Yu's been faking it all along to take the chance to slash him. After Yu seemingly defeats Shikama Doji, Asuramaru warns him to not get distracted and be careful for anything, Asuramaru then stabs him one more time telling him to disappear in anger as Shikama Doji vanishes into thin air.
Asuramaru and Yu get rid of the remains of Shikama Doji wondering if it's over, afterwards they began chatting. Both Yu and Asuramaru are surprised by Shikama Doji sudden appearance which is unharmed alive and well, he shoves his hand inside Asuramaru and Yu as they both struggle and curse marks begin covering their skin. When Shikama Doji states that he will kill them, both of them are saved by Shinoa's arrival and he bids both Asuramaru and Yu farewell. Asuramaru later tries to stop Yu from coming close to Shikama Doji when he was grabbing Shinoa and tells Yu it's not his fault that Shikama Doji disappeared with Shinoa. The sword Asuramaru is bound to is chained to a stretcher and covered with spell tags whilst Yu is led away. After the Hyakuya Sect captures Yu, Asuramaru feels an odd feeling and his memories are starting to come back.
Asuramaru's memories finally return as he remembers his sister Krul. In ancient Greece during the dark ages Ashera who is chained in the leg with a ball pondering about Krul whether she is dead by now. Sika Madu brings a buyer named Yu and is tasked to free the imprisoned Ashera by the rebels which he does so he asks Yu if he is a bought child as well but Yu simply doesn't remember asking Sika Madu if he is one but Sika Madu answers that's a good question. Yu turns to Ashera concluding that it is possible he was bought, Ashera finding Yu to be weird. Sika Madu later takes both Yu and Ashera with him, however he is hit on the head by a slaver shouting to him to move on that this nobleman pays well warning Ashera not to ruin his reputation for well behaved merchandise. As Ashera see's the outside world he comments how the sun hasn't dimmed at all.
He follows Sika Madu to the market square observing children getting abused thinking by now his life won't be easy and spotting a young girl makes him think of Krul. Ashera and Yu both get hungry. Ashera addresses Sika Madu as master and they make there way through some alleyways, Sika Madu then feeds them both to lunch, though in his haste eating Ashera spills some of his food apologising to Sika Madu who doesn't mind the accident. Sika Madu mentions that Ashera used to be a nobility but this depresses Ashera however Sika Madu assures the boy he will treat him well after all he bought him as a house toy who he wonders the meaning of this. After they both finish eating lunch they are both accompanied by Sika Madu to head home.
On their way Ashera and Yu both chat trying to know each other names, he asks Yu his daily life with Sika Madu responding that he eats, sleeps, plays and reads when Sika Madu tells him to, then plays, eats again then when he gets tired he goes to sleep. Ashera who considers it that it's just playing all day telling Yu he is just a slave. Ashera asks him one last question that concerns Sika Madu saying that the slave dealer told him he pays well if he buys child slaves a lot but Yu is clueless. Ashera thinks to himself about how Sika Madu keeps buying many slaves enough to be a slave dealer, the more he buys they die quickly and needs to get more.
Arriving at Sika Madu residence the servants clean his clothes and Yu immediately wants to play with him, though Ashera not in the mood to do so Yu tries to encourage him but Ashera tells Yu when he gets a little more used to life here, he will play that with him much to Yu's happiness. This is provided that master decides he likes Ashera, and he survives. Later Ashera alone in a room on a bed depressed, a hooded servant visits him informing him that master has summoned him stating he awaits him in the room down the hall.
On his way Ashera doubts himself if there is any reason to survive, starting to get scared and tears welling on his eyes remembering Krul and his mother wishing that they had one last meal that day, but starts regaining courage in order to save Krul thinking she is alive and might be waiting for him making sure he lives. Outside a large door he arrives to Sika's chamber but finds Yu instead alone in the room. Ashera then hears him screaming, and then witnesses him in pain violently yelling, then three pairs of six large feathered wings appear on Yu’s back, to Ashera astonishment.
As the astonished Ashera looks upon Yu before him with six seraph wings, wondering if his personality has also changed as he keep chanting about humans immerse, he glares at Ashera but Sika Madu who is present instruct Yu to calm down saying if he keeps up it will be the end as he made adjustments so that he could. Sika Madu apologizes to Ashera seeing such sight as his timing wasn't right, Ashera who can only ask questions about this situation but Sika Madu dismisses the questioning as Yu now is terribly not fond of humans and proceeds to tell Ashera to step outside. However suddenly at that time Yu lunges at Ashera before Sika Madu swiftly intervenes to seize Yu and tells Ashera to quickly step outside. Ashera managed to make it outside closing the door, having no idea what's happening suddenly Yu smashes the door as Ashera lies defenseless and terrified, Yu stabs his hand into Ashera's chest.
At that moment he notes to himself that was the moment he died and it ended to quickly as the berserk Yu crying out of fury he blasts his way out of the mansion taking Ashera with him as he flies to the sky. Ashera who is barely conscious looks up to the sky thinking that this is just a dream and that both Krul and him really did died long time ago and since if it is his dream then this must be hell.
Sika Madu catches up to Yu and decapitates his head causing the both to crash to the ground, there Ashera lying on the ground breathing heavily looking at the motionless Yu nearby. To Sika Madu's shock he notices Ashera twitch and coughs, Sika Madu expresses his surprises that his heart was crushed and his entire skeleton is broken as humans don't have that kind of resilience. Sika Madu states that pain is proof that he lives, after touching the blood on Ashera's mouth he recognize that before he died some of Yu's blood dripped into his mouth not only that but also it's compatible with Ashera. He holds Ashera by the neck and lifting him above him and Sika Madu comments it's interesting that today is the today as he has finally found the one that is compatible after six hundred years of failed experiments.
Seeing as if he hasn't the strength to regenerate speaking to himself that he could have Ashera drink his own blood but considering if that's the correct answer or whether it's unwise, he then throws Ashera on the ground not wanting to make a mistake here, as he holds up Yu's detached head he asks Ashera if he want Yu's blood or his, not answering he rephrases the question asking him if he has a reason to live on, anything he must do, Ashera thinking yes that he must save his sister. By his eyes Sika Madu can see he wants to live and will allow him to, in exchange he will have Ashera be use to him. Sika Madu proceeds to hold Yu's face over his face as he feels that this is a nightmare with horrifying monsters and if that what it takes to save Krul. Yu's blood drips into his mouth and his heart start beating, as it didn't kill him Sika Madu shows interest as it is indeed compatible and he will have to look on Ashera bloodline.
He later awakens on a throne with Rigr Stafford and Urd Geales watch over him, Ashera notices that his wounds have healed and he is somehow not dead in addition he can see that the air itself and hear sounds from far away, Urd tells him not to fear as he has become a superior being that surpasses humans Ashera quickly finds himself thirsty for human blood, Rigr tells him to get used to it, it will not ever truly go away. Urd agrees with Rigr that they will have to teach him how to do it. Ashera leaves, confused about his situation and wonders where Sika Madu is. With a door ahead he can hear sound and feel his presence, he enters a spacious room with many large fluid filled cylinders each with a singular black substance floating within confused about this room asking what in the heavens name is this right before spotting Yu.
Sika Madu stood beside a seated Yu on another throne who has a dark substance levitating freely in the air above him, Ashera is surprised that his head is attached back, Sika Madu comments that Ashera is finally awake. Uneasy and unsure he demands to know what Sika Madu done to him and what he become and what is this place, Sika Madu simply replies that this is hell, elaborating that this is where poor sinners who have lost their way gather desperately seeking to return to the light and what else it could be. Sika Madu however quires him if that's the question he wants to ask as isn't there something that Ashera wanted to do so badly he just had to live for now he has the power to do it, he remembers his sister and that he must find her.
Forms and Abilities
- Demon's Thrall: Asuramaru can enter his host's dreams and enter their memories to create nightmares of his host's past in order to break his host's will and take over their body. This ability can only be used against his host.
- Basic Form: Asuramaru appears as a black katana with the edge of the blade being a light green. Even without being called, his power is immense. When his name is spoken by his bearer, he coats his host in a green aura and becomes even more powerful. Mahiru was able to easily slay a vampire without any effort at all.
- Asura-Kannon: A special technique using Asuramaru that materializes dozens of floating swords roughly in the shape of a fan. This type of ability should be impossible for a possession-type demon.
- In Hinduism, the asuras (Sanskrit: असुर) are a group of power-seeking deities related to the more benevolent devas (also known as suras). They are sometimes considered nature spirits. They battle constantly with the devas.
- Maru 「丸」 is a common suffix to male Japanese names.
- Upon forming a contract with Yūichirō, he can immediately tell that 1/10th of Yu is not human.
- Although he often appears as human 12-year-old Mikaela Hyakuya, he has yet to take the form of vampire 16-year-old Mikaela Hyakuya.
- Asuramaru refers to himself with "boku" (僕), a first-person Japanese pronoun usually used by males, but also used by some females, so Asuramaru's gender was hard to determine. However, it was confirmed in the latest official fanbook that he is indeed male.
- He is the only demon so far to remember much about his past life, including having a sister and his hobbies, although it was painful for him, since he is a demon.
Quotes: Vampire Reign
- "I can tweak a heart as weak as yours all that I want."--Asuramaru to Yu, Chapter 6, "Black Asura"
- "I like strong ones. I like strong desires. If you want power for revenge alone, then I will give you unlimited power. (As Akane) But that's not enough, Yu. You gotta do more. You have to live for revenge in truth now. Or else we can't give you any power. (As Mika) Yeah. Give up your love. We hate that more than anything. We like greed. We can't stand love. Yoichi? Kimizuki? Shinoa? Who cares about companions? Are you going to go off and make new friends... and be happy without us? That's no fair, Yu. Only you survived. We didn't. You left us to die--"--Asuramaru to Yu, Chapter 6, "Black Asura"
- "Love and greed intertwined. What an incredible contradiction. This is why humans destroy the world."--Asuramaru to Yu, Chapter 6, "Black Asura"
- "You interest me. As long as your heart stays strong, I will obey you. But if I detect even a moment's weakness, your body is mine. Do you agree...? Then, I will be yours. My name is Asuramaru. When you want power, cry out my name."--Asuramaru to Yu, Chapter 6, "Black Asura"
- "You see... There's something strange inside you. You are about one part in ten... not human. Maybe other humans have modified you in some abnormal way."--Asuramaru to Yu, Chapter 6, "Black Asura"
- "Don't trust humanity, Yu. Humans are more frightening than vampires. Even more frightening than demons. Heh. How odd to say that to a human."--Asuramaru to Yu, Chapter 6, "Black Asura"
- "I will be your power. I will be your blade. Open your eyes wide... and let your greed grow. Slice the world wide open, Yūichirō Hyakuya!"--Asuramaru to Yu, Chapter 6, "Black Asura"
- "(As Mika) ...Yu. Yu! You left me behind, Yu... to die. Haha! You will keep having this dream over and over. This is the darkness inside of you. It is a part of you. And I... (As Asuramaru) I am your power. Use your darkness and make me into a demon of revenge."--Asuramaru to Yu, Chapter 8, "Mitsuba's Squad"
- "But if one day you feel your like your heart will burst, just call my name. Give me your body... and I will see your revenge through for you..."--Asuramaruto Yu, Chapter 8, "Mitsuba's Squad"
- "Who would have thought that I, a demon, would ever be scared of how monstrous the human I'm possessing could be?"--Asuramaru to Yu, Chapter 13, "Reunion of Childhood Friends"
- "Look at the sky. You've stained it an ugly black, spreading it over the world like a curse. Yū? Mika is right. If there is still time... both of you should run as far away from humans as you can. If you don't, you'll lose your humanity altoge... Uh-oh. You're out of time after all. The part of you that isn't human is about to run wild."--Asuramaru to Yu, Chapter 13, "Reunion of Childhood Friends"
- "Blood... I... tasted your blood. Heh... Heheheh... Power... My power is returning..."--Asuramaru to Yu, Chapter 20, "The Demon's Nightmare"
- "I'm becoming my true self again. Your blood was delicious... Give me more."--Asuramaru to Yūichirō Hyakuya, Chapter 20, "The Demon's Nightmare"
- "Give me blood. Your blood. Your body. Your soul. Your everything. I will possess you... and defile everything that you are!!"--Asuramaru to Yu, Chapter 20, "The Demon's Nightmare"
- "Humans are frightening creatures. They have no qualms about delving into forbidden arts. Not the least of which is that terrifying thing hidden inside of you."--Asuramaru to Yu, Chapter 20, "The Demon's Nightmare"
- "Ha ha! And you don't even remember! Humans truly are despicable."--Asuramaru to Yūichirō Hyakuya, Chapter 20, "The Demon's Nightmare"
- "Come, Yu. Let the death match begin. Let's see who will be the master, and who the servant. Aah... The bonds are loosening... loosening... I can feel my sanity slipping away... Blood. Flesh. Everything that you are... is mine. Die, human."--Asuramaru to Yu, Chapter 20, "The Demon's Nightmare"
- "The curse is weak. You can't bind me anymore. Now, I can reach into your deepest darkness. Let your rage burn, your greed consume you. Break, Yu."--Asuramaru to Yu, Chapter 20, "The Demon's Nightmare"
- "Well, well! Not bad. But don't think you can bluff me. I know you're weakened. Weakened and unwanted. Even your parents threw you away, Demon Spawn."--Asuramaru to Yūichirō Hyakuya, Chapter 20, "The Demon's Nightmare"
- "Those pills you took are a problem. They force us to go crazy, all while keeping your greed in check. That contradiction won't do. You can't just take drugs and expect to get stronger without any consequences, Yu. That's wrong."--Asuramaru to Yūichirō Hyakuya, Chapter 34, "Asura's Power"
- "I'm afraid I can't answer that. You're already dead. At least it was a quick death. You took so much of that drug that all your internal organs ruptured, and your heart exploded. I have pretty powerful regenerative abilities, but all that damage is beyond even me. You're done, Yu. Dead."--Asuramaru to Yu, Chapter 34, "Asura's Power"
- "Angels can be far nastier than us demons."--Asuramaru to Yu, Chapter 34, "Asura's Power"
- "Huh..? Damn. I can't put you back to normal. You've lost more of your humanity and are even uglier than before! Seriously... Don't ever do that to my body again!"--Asuramaru to Yu, Chapter 34, "Asura's Power"
- "I'm really starting to like you, Yu. I like that you're so honest about what you desire and love. And I especially like that, when it comes to protecting your family, good and evil mean nothing. You really are broken."--Asuramaru to Yu, Chapter 36, "Yu & Mika"
- "Aha ha! What's the point in keeping together with those weaklings? They'll just drag you down and weaken you again. You know that."--Asuramaru to Yu, Chapter 36, "Yu & Mika"
- "Geez, you are so greedy. I don't have enough power to give you. So you're going to betray me just like that and take up that trumpet... You traitor. Just so you know, that's the worst decision you could make. That thing will erase what's left of your humanity."--Asuramaru to Yu, Chapter 40, "Trumpet of the Apocalypse"
- "Don't kill them, Yu. What you desire isn't human deaths, remember?"--Asuramaru to Yu, who has awakened as a seraph, Chapter 41, "Arrogant Love"
- "Silence, Angel. You are not the one I'm speaking to. Yu, I'll help you. Let's both try to control this thing. Draw me... Yu. If you become a full demon, you may be able to contain the seraph. Let your greed out, Yu! Shout your desire to the world! Accept me--Accept your inner demon for all that I am!!"--Asuramaru to Yu, who has awakened as a seraph, Chapter 41, "Arrogant Love"
- "Well, yes. Your human self...doesn't want to deal with the memories of your demon self, and hides them away."--To Yu, Chapter 46, "Return of the Hero"
- "Yet you keep getting into situations you can't escape without a demon's power. It's funny. This has to be karma, for sure."--To Yu, Chapter 46, "Return of the Hero"
- "Oh, I won't kill anybody. You will want to kill them. Why don't you give it a try? It'll feel so much better to be free of all those fetters."--To Yu, Chapter 46, "Return of the Hero"
- "Oho! That was very sharp of you. Once all that exuberant energy and emotion of yours cools down...you're actually quite clever. Smart, even."--To Yu, Chapter 46, "Return of the Hero"
- "Ha ha ha! If you become a full demon, you will probably be a monster that no one will be able to stand up to. Human or vampire."--To Yu, Chapter 46, "Return of the Hero"
- "Oh? Are those words from your human self...or is that your demon side talking...? The two are too intertwined to be separated now."--To Yu, Chapter 46, "Return of the Hero"
- "Demons have no friends. No family. They kill everything."--To Yu, Chapter 46, "Return of the Hero"
- "I have to go now, Krul. This is for our future."--Ashera Tepes to Krul 1,000 years prior, Chapter 49, "Progenitor's Memory"
- "No. It's nothing. I think... demons aren't supposed to have emotions."--Asuramaru to Yu after reacting to Krul, 51, "Crucifying the Immortal"
- "You know... I can't help but think this... You are completely insane. In your hand, you hold an angel's trumpet, but the drugs you need to control that angel's power have transformed your whole arm into something much like a devil's. Not only that... The whole rest of your body is being taken over by a demon. Eesh. What are you trying to become? Heck... What are you in the first place?"--Asuramaru to Yu, Chapter 62, "Unremembered Trauma"
- "...I... I know there is something, but... I think... there is someone I must find... But I can't remember who. Why is that, I wonder..."--Asuramaru to Yu, Chapter 62, "Unremembered Trauma"
- "We are not friends. Sheesh. Once you stick someone with the label 'friend' or 'family,' you are far too willing to sacrifice yourself for them. Thanks to that, there are hardly any human bits of you left for me to take over."--Asuramaru to Yu, Chapter 62, "Unremembered Trauma"
- Why is it? Why is he so self-sacrificing? He and I are connected, both mind and soul... I should know the answer to that.--Asuramaru's thoughts about Yu, Chapter 62, "Unremembered Trauma"
- "I dislike the thought that my chosen master is being manipulated by someone. The Demon Army. The Hyakuya Sect. Guren Ichinose. Ferid Bathory. I don't know who is pulling your strings, but I'd rather it was your desire that was making everyone around you dance... You have a brain. One that works even--use it. If you don't... you won't be able to save anyone in the end.... At least, I think that's what your partner would say."--Asuramaru to Yu, Chapter 62, "Unremembered Trauma"
- "...A sister. I think... I once had a younger sister... Yeah. And... I think I abandoned her. Regrets... I get the feeling I regretted that horribly... or somehow didn't...?"--Asuramaru to Yu, Chapter 69, "The Day the Sun Was Lost"
- "But I like looking at the sun. It's... nice. Warm. I like how, looking up with my eyes wide, everything slowly starts to fade to white..."--Ashera Tepes to Krul Tepes, Chapter 69, "The Day the Sun Was Lost"
- Aah... This is it. I'm going to die. The sun... Past all the smoke... I can see its light...--Ashera Tepes's thoughts when his home is burned down, his parents killed, and he and his sister are being beaten, Chapter 69, "The Day the Sun Was Lost"
- Krul was right. I got punished for not being grateful for my food. We all got punished. This is my fault.--Ashera Tepes's thoughts, Chapter 69, "The Day the Sun Was Lost"