Mikaela Hyakuya (百夜 ミカエラ Hyakuya Mikaera?), birth name Mikaela Shindō (進藤 ミカエラ Shindō Mikaera?), is the deuteragonist of the Seraph of the End: Vampire Reign series. Third Progenitor Krul Tepes turns him into a vampire against his will. He, along with Yūichirō Hyakuya and a few others, possesses the seraph gene, which is relevant to the forbidden taboo and a focal point of the story Seraph of the End.
He also stars in Seraph of the End: The Story of Vampire Michaela novels and appears in the Seraph of the End: Guren Ichinose: Catastrophe at Sixteen light novel series.
|Note: This is the page for Mika in the manga and light novels, for the anime article detailing Mika see: Mikaela Hyakuya (Anime).|
- 1 Appearance
- 2 Personality
- 3 Story
- 4 Powers and Abilities
- 5 Relationships
- 6 Gallery
- 7 Quotes
- 8 Trivia
- 9 References
- 10 Navigation
As an 8-year-old human child prior to the Apocalypse, Mika appears wearing short jean shorts and a white hoodie over a collared shirt. Sometimes, he is also shown wearing an over-sized jean jacket. He has short, wavy blond hair and blue eyes, which gives him the appearance of a foreigner, and is described as being shockingly beautiful.
As a twelve-year-old human livestock, Mika wears the standard livestock uniform that consists of the capri shorts, hooded shirt, and collar. He is barefoot like the other livestock.
After becoming an incomplete vampire, he grows fangs and his ears become pointed, though they continue to be hidden by his hair, but his eyes remain blue. In chapter 36, his eyes turn red after drinking Yu's blood which is when he becomes a complete vampire. When he is 16, his hair reaches down to his shoulders.
He starts off wearing the standard uniform of the vampire soldiers. It consists of a black collared shirt with cuffs and white trim. He keeps it buttoned over his neck and held in place with the vampire insignia. Over the black shirt, he wears the white military jacket with black trim and decorated buttons. It also has the black piece of the vampires on the left shoulder and black cuffs with white buttons that nearly reach up to his elbows. He wears white gloves. He has a thick black belt encircling his waist, and he wears two smaller belts below it forming an X over his posterior and front. He also keeps his sword at his left hip. He wears white pants with black boots reaching up to his upper thighs. The boots have three large buttons at the upper lateral sides and three smaller buttons coming up from his ankles. The soles, toe, and heels of the boots are white. A decoration over the heels consists of a small ribbon coming from either side to make a V with a small white circular detail keeping them in place.
Mika often wears the standard vampire white cloak with a hood as well. The gold decoration on it has blue gems hanging from its chains.
In chapter 26, Mika, Lacus, and René wear new uniforms. This uniform consists of a long white shirt with black details and straps, including an inscription over the left breast. His shoulder and neck pieces have numerous straps tying them together, and a black collar holds them to his neck. A modified version of the gold decoration that kept his collar together over his black shirt in his previous uniform is now inverted and without a line through its middle, and it is at the base of his neck rather than over his collar. A white cape hangs down from the back of his shoulders to his upper thighs. The shirt also has black cuffs reaching from the wrist to the elbow. He continues to wear white gloves. He wears two belts that meet at his right hip, and he continues to have his sword on his left hip. His boots reach up to his thighs like before, but they are solid black without any white or button details. This outfit is more form-fitting than the previous one and does not have as many trims or button details. It also has fewer layers.
In chapter 55, Mika gets another uniform change, and its style looks very similar to Crowley Eusford's. He wears a black collared dress shirt with a thick white X and white trim on both sides of the collar, a metal hexagonal piece and four buttons in the center, and two pairs of two lines on each side. Worn over the black shirt is a white army jacket which looks similar to Crowley's, though its design is more like the vampire soldier's uniform. The jacket also has belt loops that a black belt. Also like Crowley, his cape hangs from the left side of his shoulder and covers down to Mika's knee. His white pants, matching gloves, and black thigh high boots remain the same.
As a human, Mika is kind and upbeat in spite of the harsh events in his childhood. He is able to keep smiling and remain happy because of his adopted family at the orphanage. He always thinks of his new family and is happy to buy ice cream for them. He is cheerful, feisty, and friendly and even managed to befriend the extremely stubborn Yu. He is a little violent and beats up Yu within seconds of meeting him when Yu thought he was picking a fight. As the eldest child, he takes charge and acts responsible for the other children. He is very charismatic and acts as their leader.
As he grows up in Sanguinem, he becomes more cunning and willing to do whatever dirty work is necessary in order to help his family such as giving his own blood, but he refuses to let any of the other children take such hardships. He even approaches Ferid Bathory and lets him drink his blood on multiple occasions in order to help his family escape. Although he feels miserable and even breaks out crying in front of Yu once, he typically maintains a carefree and happy persona in front of the children. He wants to make sure they all still have hope. Yu describes Mika as "smart" but "always stupidly nice to all of us."
Mika uses his courage, cunning, and wits to lead his family past vampire patrols and to an exit in the city. He is selfless enough to sacrifice himself to give them a chance to escape, only Yu is able to survive. When Yu refuses to leave his side, Mika pushes him away and is happy that Yu finally accepted them as his family. He states that he can die in peace as long as at least Yu survives. When Third Progenitor Krul Tepes offers to turn him into a vampire and give him immortality, he refuses.
Krul turns him anyway, and he comes to hate both vampires and humans. He hates vampires because of his history with them, and he hates humans for using and experimenting on Yu; backed up by his travels across the world and seeing the horrible human experimentation on the Seraph of the End. After gradually losing his respect for humans he comes to view them the same as any other vampire which also results in him underestimating them.
As a self-loathing and moody vampire, Mika is a pale shadow of his former self. He undergoes the traditional vampire loss-of-emotion and cannot help but yearn to bite any human he sees, but he shows tremendous self-restraint. Unlike the older vampires, his darker emotions have yet to fade enough for him to forget hatred.
When Lacus asks him what he is, Mika answers that he is just an "ugly bloodsucker." He never smiles and always looks apathetic. Mika blames himself for the death of his family, and his sole reason for living is to save Yu. At the end of chapter 3, Ferid finds Mika in a basilica with his head bowed and implies that Mika goes there often. It is unclear if Mika is praying for Yu's safety, praying for control over his thirst, or seeking repentance for his perceived crimes.
Except when he is with Yu or Krul, his expression is typically cold and disinterested. He keeps to himself and only has real conversations with Krul and Ferid. Although Lacus repeatedly attempts to make conversations with him, Mika usually ignores him and refuses to interact with the other vampires as much as possible.
Ferid describes the vampire Mika as "overwhelmingly powerful and arrogant." Mika rushes into battle without any interest in glory, but he prefers to fight alone rather than have the other vampires backing him up. His arrogance and lack of concern for his own life have caused him to be extremely reckless on the battlefield, particularly when Yu is involved. Examples being chapter 12, when after meeting Yu, he does not defend himself and lets Yu stab him through the chest with Asuramaru, a Cursed Gear from the Black Demon Series; chapter 14, Mika uses his own body as a shield to protect Shinoa from a berserk Yu, knowing that Yu would be upset for hurting his friend, thus he is stabbed again with Asuramaru at full power that Mika required curse detoxification afterwards. In chapter 35, he dives into a company of human soldiers and receives many injuries with a fatal one being from Shinya Hīragi when he stabs him through the back with Byakkomaru.
Unlike other vampires, Mika does not view the humans as livestock; however, he lusts after a girl's blood in chapter 5, attacks a young girl in chapter 26, and wants Aiko Aihara's blood in chapter 30 after he kills her. Ferid also tempts him with the blood of a young boy in chapter 22. Although Krul is the only person he bites so far, he desires human blood so badly that he can hardly stand it.
Similarly to when he is human, the vampire Mikaela cares about his family more than anything, and believes this is the last remaining trace of his humanity. As Yu is the only family he has left, Mika lives to save and protect him from both the vampires and the humans. He cuts down his vampire "comrades" who may be a threat to Yu without any hesitation, and Ferid's taunts about Yu send him into a rage.
Out of concern for Yu's hatred of vampires, he refuses to drink human blood and become a true vampire, preferring to remain dependent on Krul's blood. Despite the tremendous pain, blood lust, palpitations, and sheer agony of resisting the urge to drink human blood, he keeps control for four years. After he attacks a young girl in chapter 26, he manages to stop himself before drinking her blood but remains horrified by his vampirism. He wants to avoid drinking human blood until he rescues Yu from the humans but does not reveal what he plans to do after rescuing Yu, whether he intends to become a true vampire or die. Later on, it appears he planned to die, but Yu insists on Mika surviving and drinking his blood instead.
Mika is loyal to Krul Tepes and trusts her enough to capture Yu; however, he initially refuses until she explains what those purposes are.
Mika's personality is similar to when he was an incomplete vampire, but he is no longer tormented by the constant lust for blood. He is finally able to quench his thirst, even though he still desires blood more than anything else. Even as a vampire, he is concerned about Yu and gradually towards Yu's friends; though given his experience seeing human experimentation, he cannot bring himself to trust Yu's friends, but he can tolerate them.
He bites but stops himself before Yu shows signs of anemia. He prefers to drink the bottled blood of the whole group rather than bite Yu, despite the pleasure of biting someone.
Since Yu adores Guren, Mika withholds pointing out that Ferid and Guren were working together when Ferid slaughtered their family until Yu realizes it for himself. He reveals in chapter 53 that he is quickly losing his emotions except for his attachment to Yu.
For the total coverage story detailing Mika's history as well see:
Mikaela Hyakuya is at an orphanage to see Yūichirō Hyakuya arrive. Despite his hostility, Mika welcomes Yu to the family. After an apocalyptic event where the world's adult population perishes Mika along with other surviving children are taken to an underground city by vampires. Four years later to help care for the orphanage family members he lives with, Mika has come to provide his blood to a vampire noble Ferid Bathory. With Yu wanting to leave their captivity Mika acquires a map with an exit from the city as well as a gun then informs Yu and Akane Hyakuya of their plan to escape. Successfully leading the orphanage family to the exit where Mika sees Ferid. The act of deception results in Mika witnessing the orphans being murdered. With himself and Yu remaining Mika reminds him they are family before taking the gun to distract Ferid and give Yu a chance to escape. Mortally wounded, Mika ordered Yu to escape to not let their deaths be in vain. With the arrival of the queen of the city, Krul Tepes, Mika would be turned into a vampire and also see that Ferid had survived.
For the next four years Mika would remain with the vampires and be sent to deal with organizations who were experimenting on the seraph of the end. Hearing details of how humans were responsible for what befall the world Mika would work towards retrieving Yu from them. During this time he was against drinking human blood so sustained himself off of Krul's. Along with Lacus Welt and René Simm he would defeat Four Horseman that were threatening the surviving humans since vampires required a blood supply.
With the Japanese Imperial Demon Army's forces massing and Krul's response to have them exterminated Mika headed to the city of Shinjuku. There he would come into conflict with leading members of the Moon Demon Company. With Guren Ichinose overcome Mika would be stabbed by one of his reinforcements which was Yu. Managing to acquire Yu from the retreating human soldiers Mika would ask him to leave everything behind and escape with him. His warnings that the humans were using him were not heeded and Mika would find his concerns of human experimentation confirmed at seeing Yu transform into a savage one winged monstrosity. Mika would prevent Yu from killing humans in his state such as Shinoa Hīragi.
With the arrival of the main force of the human army Mika would be unable to get Yu and be taken by Ferid as the vampire invaders fled. Recovering from his wounds Mika would remember Yu's reaction to his state of being a vampire. Brought to a progenitor council meeting Mika would learn that Krul was meant to murder the Hyakuya orphans for their connection with the seraph of the end project. Physically aching from a lack of human blood Mika would hear that soon he would have to drink from a human. Receiving private information from Krul that only Mika heard he would be tasked with an undercover mission where failure would make him a traitor to both humans and vampires.
Travelling to Nagoya via aircraft, on the way Mika would see humans being rounded up and enter a brief state of blood lust. Finding that vampire nobles in Nagoya where being targeted for assassination by human forces, Mika would learn where Yu was heading. Separating himself from most of the other vampires he was with Mika would make his way to city hall to find remnants of a battle. Waiting in the center of a highway Mika would see the retreating members of the vampire noble exterminating operation coming his way. At the back of the combined forces Mika would locate Yu being transported unconscious. In response, Mika parried and hurtled his way through the squadrons, largely avoiding combat to successfully reach where Yu was. After knocking Mitsuba Sangū away and head-butting Shihō Kimizuki over Mika would reclaim Yu. As he focused on Yoichi Saotome who was trying to stop him Mika would be stabbed by Shinya Hīragi. Struck by Yu's squad defending him Mika was helped to escape with Yu. With his wounds not healing, despite Mika's reluctance he would drink Yu's blood which completed his transformation to a full vampire. At Nagoya airport he would help Yu's squad with Makoto Narumi as well escape both Kureto Hīragi slaughtering his own units to fuel a seraph experiment and the vampire forces.
Three months later Mika felt rescuing Krul from her imprisonment was the best path forward. Found by Ferid and Crowley and unable to defeat them there was little choice but to comply with their plan to travel to Osaka Bay. Once Ferid and Krul were sentenced by foreign vampire nobles, Mika with Crowley and the squad reached Ferid's manor. There Mika would find his deceased orphanage family being kept. Aware that he was losing his emotions Mika would still be hostile to Guren joining them. After the clash that freed just Ferid from Ky Luc he would find another seraph at Guren's residence. Informed that the demon Shikama Doji was active Mika went to Shibuya where he contemplated the extent of this first vampire's influence. Believing those around him to be under his influence Mika attempted to fight off Guren but was caught off guard with Shinya and Kureto joining in. With Shibuya besieged by the revealed Hyakuya Sect Mika attempted to find Yu who had been kidnapped. Locating him he and Yu would be attacked by a horned Guren with his demons. With Yu at risk Mika sacrificed himself to fend Guren off. After rising into the sky an explosion enveloped Mika.
Waking in a world where he was a child with Yu and his orphanage family Mika would catch on that this was a dream but would want to live in it.
Powers and Abilities
As a vampire, Mika has incredible strength and regenerative capabilities that allows him to reattach his limbs and survive injuries that would usually be fatal to normal humans if he should experience these. The only things that can stop his regeneration are Cursed Gear weapons, like the Black Demon Series.
After being turned into a vampire, Mika gains the vampires super strength and speed. He is also seen as a Noble Vampire who can wield First Class vampire swords that can consume his own blood to further enhance his strength and speed.
Since he was turned by a third progenitor Krul Tepes, Mika is abnormally powerful for a vampire at such a young age. Even before he drinks human blood and completes his transformation into a true noble vampire, Mika's strength is already great enough for other vampires to believe he was turned by a third progenitor. This is shown when Mika is able to withstand Norito Goshi's illusion ability, overcoming it and then continuing to move forward so he can go rescue Yu from the humans.
When Mika finally drank Yu's blood, he was able to complete his transformation and drastically increase his own power. In doing so, it also gave him immortality.
Besides his vampire abilities, Mika is shown to be a skilled sword fighter as he was able to go up against one of the Moon Demon Company's most talented fighters, Guren Ichinose. Mika can over power and beat black demon series weapon users such as Guren and the accomplices beside him. Mika also fought through thirty MDC soldiers when trying to retrieve Yu.
Mika is able to wield a first-class vampire sword and its abilities similar to them. When he orders the weapon to drink his blood, it sprouts thorny vines that pierce through his hand, while spreading all around and additionally, turning the blade crimson in color. As a result, Mika's strength and speed would then grow in proportion to the amount of his blood the sword drinks.
- "Mr. Saitō! Mr. Saitō! Can I really buy whatever I like? What about the other kids at the orphanage? What do you think they’d want? Do you think the teachers at the orphanage would get mad if we brought back ice cream?"
- —Mika to Saitō. (Chapter 5, page 89)
- "I want us to stay together, too. But you’re going to be part of a new family now."
- —Mika to Junji. (Chapter 2)
- "It’s because we’re family, that we all want what’s best for you. We’re rooting for you, Junji. Don’t cry, Junji. You’ve got to be brave now. Everything will be fine. And if you ever want to run away, you can always come back to us. Anytime."
- —Mika to Junji. (Chapter 2)
- "I wouldn’t be disappointed. I could never be disappointed in something someone from our family chose to do. But I know you’ll choose to go forward in life, Junji. Because you’re strong. I know that better than anyone else."
- —Mika to Junji. (Chapter 2)
- "Junji really likes picture books. Especially old fairytales with adventures in them, like Momotaro… He’s afraid of ghosts… but actually brave, so if you tell him to be strong like Momotaro he can sleep on his own… And he’s a real hard worker… Taking care of the younger kids without being asked… His parents abused him and abandoned him, but he’s so kind he doesn’t even hold a grudge against them. So… So if you’re going to save Junji and take him away from here, please treat him right. He likes studying, and he’s really smart. He should get a good education… He’s gone through enough already. I think he has the right to finally be happy."
- —Mika to Miyuki Yamada (Mahiru Hīragi). (Chapter 2)
- "Even amongst vampires, Lord Ferid has a noble pedigree. As long as I give him my blood, he'll buy me anything I want. Now, we can have good things to eat. In the end, the best way to live down here is to be smart. You've got to be clever to survive."
- —Twelve-year-old Mika to Yu in the streets of Sanguinem. ("The World of Blood Legacy")
- "Wow. That must've been awful. Do you want to hear how I came here? Both of my parents abused me. One day, they got sick of me and threw me out of a moving car. I was brought here."
- —Eight-year-old Mika to Yu in the Hyakuya Orphanage. ("The World of Blood Legacy")
- "Shh! Yu. Don't say another word. The kids believe everything you've said. Someday, we'll beat the vampires. We'll never give in to them. You've said that so many times, Yu... and to be honest, it gives me a little... hope..."
- —Twelve-year-old Mika to Yu in Sanguinem. ("The World of Blood Legacy")
- "I'm no wuss who just lets vampires suck his blood for free. Not the Great Mikaela."
- —Twelve-year-old Mika to Yu in Sanguinem while pulling out Ferid's stolen gun. ("The World of Blood Legacy")
- "Yu... don't forget. We're family."
- —Twelve-year-old Mika to Yu before he makes a suicidal charge at Ferid. ("The World of Blood Legacy")
- "I don't care about the glory. You can have it."
- —Mika to René in Sannomiya, Kobe. ("Vampire Mikaela")
- "Yu, I'll come save you."
- —Mika to himself in Sanguinem. ("Vampire Mikaela")
- "The only one I'm mad at is myself for not having the power to protect my family."
- —Mika to Ferid in Shinjuku. ("Queen's Contract")
- "If my only other choice is being a vampire, then yes! I'd rather be dead!"
- —Newly-turned 12-year-old Mika to Krul in Sanguinem. ("Queen's Contract")
- "What if one day just the Hyakuya Orphanage family got out? What if we found a world with no vampires in it at all? Wouldn't that be great?"
- —Mika to Yu in Sanguinem. (Chapter 12 "A Very Safe Supplement")
- "Why would you imply that I'm even remotely losing?"
- —Mika to Ferid in Shinjuku when he is battling Guren ("A Very Safe Supplement")
- "More humans? What a pain in the—Y... Yu..?"
- —His views towards humans in Shinjuku and seeing Yu again after four years ("A Very Safe Supplement")
- "Yu found friends. Of course he did. He's nice. But because he's too nice, they'll deceive him. Humans will use him. They're just pretending to be his friends... Humans are greedy, Yu."
- —Mika's thoughts in Shinjuku. (Chapter 13 "Reunion of Childhood Friends")
- "Yu, forget all of them and run away with me!"
- —Mika to Yu in Shinjuku. ("Reunion of Childhood Friends")
- "I'm your only true friend! I won't try to deceive you! Those humans are only trying to use--"
- —Mika to Yu in Shinjuku. ("Reunion of Childhood Friends")
- "I knew it! Those humans did do something to him!!"
- —After Yu transforms in Shinjuku Mika has his suspicions confirmed. ("Reunion of Childhood Friends")
- "Yu, NO!! DON'T KILL HUMANS!"
- —After enduring a sword from a transformed Yu meant for Shinoa Mika does not want him murdering humans. (Chapter 14 "Everyone's a Sinner")
- "Shut up, Human. I didn't do this for you. How dare you use him like this!"
- —Speaking to Shinoa in Shinjuku. ("Everyone's a Sinner")
- "Yes, I do hate humanity. But I hate vampires, too."
- —Mika to Ferid in Shinjuku. ("Everyone's a Sinner")
- "You want to know... what I am? That's easy. All you have to do is look at me. I'm just an ugly blood-sucker."
- —Replying to Lacus. (Chapter 15 "Complicated Connections")
- "Just you wait, Yu. I promise... I'll save you."
- —Mika to Krul. ("Complicated Connections")
- "Thirsty... So thirsty! I need blood. Somebody let me drink human blood! Damn it. Human... human blood... so thirsty... Damn it! Yu... it hurts!"
- —Mika to himself. (Chapter 19 "Cause for Madness")
- "The humans... No, the people who ran our orphanage were using me and Yu as guinea pigs in their experiments. That's what you told me. You said they were horrible experiments that would destroy the world, so you came in and saved us. Right? But according to the Council, you were supposed to kill us. So why let us live? It jeopardizes your position. What in the world do you want with us?"
- —Wondering why Krul spared them ( Chapter 22 "Taboo Krul")
- "I'll save Yu from both humans and vampires."
- —Mika to Krul. ("Taboo Krul")
- "Solitude. Horrible, crushing solitude. Blood. I want blood. That thought... that need... means I'm no longer human."
- —Mika's thoughts. ("Thirst Logic")
- "I lied. I want blood. My whole body hurts because I crave it so badly. But I've held back this long.... Damn it! It's not working. Krul's blood isn't enough to stem the craving anymore."
- —Thoughts on cravings for blood that cannot be satiated as they were before (Chapter 26, "Thirst Logic")
- "I'm not a human anymore. But... even if I'm not... until I save Yu from those humans... At least, until then... I..."
- —Considering his situation and plans ("Thirst Logic")
- "You had a poison pill in your mouth. What terrifying loyalty. An inclination vampires don't have. But you won't be dying for yours. I have questions for you."
- —Mika to Aiko Aihara. (Chapter 30 "Sword of Justice")
- "Shut up. Or the others will hear that you're still alive. Play dead. Speak in a whisper. Do that, and I'll let you escape."
- —With other vampires around Mika improvises with Aihara ("Sword of Justice")
- "Friends? Yu has friends, but they aren't you humans."
- —Correcting Aihara ("Sword of Justice")
- "All the other humans chose death. But you didn't. Instead, you played dead to save your own pathetic life. That's already a betrayal of our comrades. In the end, you just don't want to die, right? Filthy, shameless human. If you really want to live that bad, talk. Sell out your companions for real. Where are the rest of the humans who attacked this place?"
- —Cuing Aihara to give false information to the other vampires ("Sword of Justice")
- "Don't think you can order me around, Human. If you want to die, do it yourself."
- —Mika to Aihara. ("Sword of Justice")
- "Were you... trying to protect Yu? No. I don't think you were. You humans are just using him. There's no way any organization that forces its people to kill themselves can be on the side of justice. Haha... What am I talking about? Justice? That has no meaning in this world."
- —Mika to himself. ("Sword of Justice")
- "Okay, humans. It's time you gave Yu back to me."
- —Determined when the Moon Demon Company runs toward him in Nagoya (Chapter 34 "Asura's Power")
- "Shut up, Human! Yu is mine! Give him back!!""
- —Mika to Shinoa (Chapter 35, "Traitorous Allies")
- "Hah. 'Family,' they say. That stuff... doesn't exist in this messed-up world..."
- —Mika in response to Shinoa Squad's motto. ("Traitorous Allies")
- "Gotta run... Gotta get away... from humans... from vampires... Nngh! Dammit... Not enough... blood... I let those humans... cut me too much... C'mon, Yu... Wake up already. Please...! There's something I've got to tell you... while I'm still alive and sane..."
- —Mika to an unconscious Yu. (Chapter 36 "Yu & Mika")
- "I... I can't. I'm sorry, Yu... I... I... I don't want to become... a vampire... It hurts. And here I finally got Yu back... What the hell am I doing...?"
- —Mika to an unconscious Yu. ("Yu & Mika")
- "Yu... stay back. I don't want to drink your blood."
- —With Yu awake Mika focuses on not drinking blood that can save him ("Yu & Mika")
- "Don't be so cruel to me, Yu. Are you really telling me... that you want me to become a monster just to satisfy your ego? All these years, I've been holding back. Resisting. Even though I desperately wanted to drink, I swore I wouldn't let myself turn into a monster before I saw you again. I've tried so hard to resist for so long. Now, you come along and tell me to stop like it's nothing!!"
- —Discussing becoming a complete vampire with Yu and how he has resisted. ("Yu & Mika")
- "I'm not joking, Yu. This isn't right. Surviving only because I drank the blood of my own family... That isn't normal. I'm a failure as a human."
- —Speaking of his vampirism views to Yu. (Chapter 37 "Monsters & Family")
- "Yu. I'm not like humans. I'll never use you."
- —To Yu. ("Monsters & Family")
- "I will do whatever it takes to protect you. And to keep you out of the hands of the Japanese Imperial Demon Army. They've used people like us for years, Yu. Used us in their experiments. I'm sure that Guren person didn't save you and take you in out of the goodness of his heart. We're part of the Seraph of the End Project—"
- —Mika to Yu. ("Monsters & Family")
- "What I've been trying to tell you is that you're being used as a test subject in a certain experiment. A massive one. One so huge and so ambitious that all the human organizations in the whole world and even all the vampires want you."
- —Aware of the organizations interested in the experimentation that affected Yu ("Monsters & Family")
- "All the adults in the world were killed. And the whole of human civilization all but collapsed because that experiment failed once."
- —Aware of how the world was ruined and telling Yu ("Monsters & Family")
- "It's not our fault. We were just being used. We still are. It's the humans' fault. The Hyakuya Orphanage was just another one of their test sites... and we were their guinea pigs. That experiment failed. Humans screwed up and destroyed the world. But despite that, they haven't learned. Now they're reaching for even greater, more dangerous power. That failed experiment is being redone by the Japanese Imperial Demon Army. It's called the Seraph of the End Project."
- —Mika to Yu. ("Monsters & Family")
- "Still... You have to. You have to at least stay away from the Demon Army. If they get ahold of you... They'll just destroy the world again. Yu... Run away with me. Right now. Let's run away from it all and live in peace somewhere in the middle of nowhere."
- —Mika to Yu. ("Monsters & Family")
- "I was sent overseas a few times. It was our mission to destroy some human cult groups. All of them were experimenting on the 'Seraph of the End'. Do you have any idea what those experiments entailed? Yu? And the Demon Army is the worst of them all. Even all the other cult groups we crushed said they went beyond the pale."
- —Mika to Yu. ("The Beginning of the Plan")
- "Humans killing humans... I told you we shouldn't have come here, Yu."
- —Commenting to Yu on the Demon Army murdering its own soldiers (Chapter 40 "Trumpet of the Apocalypse")
- "Krul!! I want to save Yu! But... How can I do that?!""
- —Turning to Krul (Chapter 41 "Arrogant Love")
- "Family...? Hah! Don't make me laugh, Demon."
- —Not entertaining what demon Yu is saying (Chapter 43 "Where It All Begins")
- "You're the one who keeps insisting you'll turn me back into a human someday. Where do you get off letting yourself get turned into something inhuman too? You just had to go and protect those stupid humans, didn't you? Now you've done irrevocable harm to yourself!"
- —Mika to Yu. ("Where It All Begins")
- "Hey, Yu? Do you ever think that maybe this whole 'being friends' thing is just another part of their experiments? Shinoa and the others are decent, for humans. I understand that. But are you sure it's a smart idea to trust them?"
- —Mika to Yu. ("Where It All Begins")
- "The vampires don't really care about humanity in general. It's only specific humans like you that concern them... The kind of humans who will stop at nothing to acquire more power."
- —Details on vampire concerns. ("Where It All Begins")
- "Yu? You can hear that? That isn't right. Not for a human. Do you think your demon's possession could still be advancing, even while you're awake now?"
- —Picking up on Yu's enhanced senses (Chapter 44 "A Drive Along Death's Shoreline")
- "Don't even think it, Yu. Remember how I told you I went to Ferid's mansion alone? And you got super upset at me for it? I still regret it, every single day. I tell myself if only I'd listened to you and hadn't gone, then maybe Akane and the others would still be—"
- —Speaking to Yu and voicing his unease from what happaned. ("A Drive Along Death's Shoreline")
- "You bastard. I will never forgive you for this. Ever!"
- —To Ferid after he bites Yu (Chapter 46 "Return of the Hero")
- "Don't bother asking him any questions. This is all just a game to him."
- —Speaking to Kimizuki about Ferid (Chapter 47 "Prayer's Price")
- "When humans dare to break a certain taboo and try to do what is forbidden, then an angel of destruction is supposed to appear. That's what the vampires say anyway. But humans are greedy. They'll break taboo without a second thought. That's why the vampires went around the world, crushing any organization that tinkered with that forbidden experiment."
- —Mika. ("The Making of an Angel")
- "Are you serious about this? ...The whole rescuing Ferid thing. He is the one who killed Akane, remember? And all the other kids, too. He massacred our entire family like it was a game. Are you really going to forgive him for that?"
- —His response when Yu wants to save Ferid from burning for the information he has (Chapter 52 "Suspicious Mansion")
- "Say we did go through with the experiment and brought Akane back to life. What would the price be this time? Would the last remnants of humanity be wiped out? Would it take the lives of your new human companions? Shinoa. Mitsuba. Kimizuki. Yoichi. Narumi. Would they all die? Would you be able to live with that? This is a quicksand trap, Yu. It's sucking you in."
- —Mika to Yu. ("Suspicious Mansion")
- "What I'm trying to tell you is what's dead shouldn't be brought back to life! I've seen what happens when humans try. I've see with my own eyes the results of Seraph of the End experiments. They're horrible. At the end of the day, all that humanity's bottomless, all-consuming, ugly greed ever births is despair."
- —His views on resurection said to Narumi. ("Suspicious Mansion")
- "I'm sorry. I'm not trying to take Yu and run, I promise. I'm just... uneasy. The thought of losing friends again... because I wasn't smart enough to see what was coming..."
- —Being clear to Shinoa Squad on his intentions regarding Yu and sharing his unease. ("Suspicious Mansion")
- "Slowly... Little by little... My humanity is vanishing."
- —Saying to the main group on how his feelings are fading. (Chapter 53 "Holy Knight's Secret")
- "Now that he's played with our emotions, he'll plunge us into despair so he can amuse himself with our tears. Right?""
- —Speaking to Crowley about Ferid (Chapter 55 "Coffins of Obsession")
- "...Yu, this isn't right. How come everybody smiled to see him arrive? He's the one who destroyed the world. It's his fault that we have to live like this!"
- —Dissonance regarding Guren's return said to to Yu (Chapter 58 "A Reason to Survive")
- "And give him the chance to use me? No. After everything he did to us, that you can still look at him and smile makes me think he had you brainwashed."
- —Wary of Guren not just for Yu's sake but his own ("A Reason to Survive")
- "They always think they have 'good reasons,' Yu. Hell, even serial killers convince themselves they have good reasons for murdering people!"
- —Mika to Yu about Guren. ("Proof of Being Human")
- "They always think they have 'good reasons,' Yu. Hell, even serial killers convince themselves they have good reasons for murdering people!"
- —Voicing his point of view (Chapter 63 "Proof of Being Human")
- "With the world the way it is, is there even any point in trying to be nice anymore?"
- —Wondering to Yu ("Proof of Being Human")
- "The first. Its hard to believe, but… … Somehow Yu has memories of the first."
- —Thoughts concerning the link to the first vampire, Sika Madu (Chapter 77, "Rescue for the Devil", page 3)
- "Incredible. He’s awoken so many times. I’ve never met him personally, but somehow I can tell that that is the source of the stupid curse that made me what I am now. It’s a monster."
- —Aware of Shikama Doji's awakenings and thinking his opinion. ("Rescue for the Devil", page 4)
- "This is the worst. The whole Hiragi family has been possessed by the first for centuries. Isn’t it possible that we’ve all been deliberately led here? And if the first has possessed this family, then wouldn’t everyone here be his puppet…? This is worse than I thought. I have to get Yu and get out of here!"
- —Mika. ("Rescue for the Devil", page 5)
- "Uh, you do realize you just grew horns, right? Are you okay? You aren't going to go berserk on me, are you?""
- —Concerned with Yu's transformation into a demon (Chapter 88 "Ashura Tepes", page 3)
- "Sword. Drink my blood. Drink more. More! This isn't enough. If I'm going to kill him, I need more power.""
- —Mika's resolve to kill Guren, Chapter 89 "Vampire's End", page 16
- "Yu... I love you."
- —Mika's feelings. ("Because of Mikaela", page 34)
- "Yeah. It was the scariest nightmare ever! Don't worry. If I have to, I'll make sure I wet your bed, not mine.""
- —Joking with Yu as children where Mika mentions wetting Yu's bed from a nightmare he had (Chapter 93 "Desire Within Desire", page 8)
- "Wow... I can hardly believe this. I'm so unbelievably happy right now. Everyone's here. Yu is here."
- —Mika's thoughts at seeing his orphanage family before him. ("Desire Within Desire", page 11-12)
- "Hey, Yu. What happened to the director again?""
- —Processing his happiness when eating with his family, Mika states this probing question to Yu for clarification on the scenario ("Desire Within Desire", page 14)
- "Oh. Right. I thought so. It was too good to be true."
- —Appearing confused at mentions of home and family before, after Yu's puzzled reaction to Mika asking what happened to the orphanage director Mika is able to tell for sure what the situation is. ("Desire Within Desire", page 15)
- "Eventually we'll turn 30... and then 50... Then... well, okay. By the time we're a hundred we'll probably be dead, but still. If we can look back and say we had a full life being nice and considerate to everybody... Wouldn't that be, y'know... a really nice way to go? Don't you think?"
- —Contemplating them being together and views on the life they could have. ("Desire Within Desire", page 20)
- "You don't have to tell me that. I know that this is what I want the most. I know from the bottom of my heart."
- —Mika's greatest desires in the moment with his family. ("Desire Within Desire", page 30)
- "Yu... This is a dream. It's not real."
- —Crying profusely Mika says what he knows. ("Desire Within Desire", page 30-31)
- "How?! Everyone died! I couldn't protect them! I even left you behind right when you were on the verge of becoming a demon! I failed! I was too weak! I was too useless! I couldn't save anyone!"
- —Mika's reply to Yu assuring him not to worry and that he can make the desire come true. ("Desire Within Desire", page 30-31)
- The name Mikaela means "Gift from God" or "God-like" in Latin.
- Mikaela's surname Hyakuya means "hundred" (百) (hyaku) and "night" (夜) (ya).
- His birth surname Shindō means "advance, make progress" (進) (shin) and "wisteria" (藤) (dō).
- Mika calls Yūichirō Hyakuya by the nickname "Yu-chan" (優ちゃん Yū-chan?) in Japanese.
- Mika is considered a member of Shinoa's Squad, even if temporarily.
- Mika's father was Russian while his mother was Japanese.
- According to track 4 of a drama CD, Mika never once complained about getting his blood taken in Sanguinem and always smiled for his family.
- In a special art board done by Yamato Yamamoto, the illustrator of Seraph of the End, made in celebration for volume 12's release where Mika is revealed to have ears like all other vampires.
- Mika is one of the first characters designed, along with Yūichirō and Guren.
- In the first popularity poll, Mika earned 1st place at 5,623 points. In the 2019 popularity poll, Mika ranked 2nd place with 6,397 votes.
- According to the TV Anime 108 Fanbook:
- Weapon: First Class Armament
- Interests: What Yu is doing now/Why Ferid is always smiling.
- Favorite Food: Whilst it was curry as a vampire it is limited to an overwhelming thirst for blood with that being all he can consume.