Mikaela Hyakuya (百夜 ミカエラ Hyakuya Mikaera?) is the deuteragonist of Seraph of the End. Taken with Yūichirō Hyakuya and other members of his orphanage family to an underground vampire city, he would plan to escape since Yu did not like it there. At the exit Mika would witness his family murdered by the vampire, Ferid Bathory. Mika survived by being turned into a vampire by Krul Tepes against his will.
Four years later he lives for news of Yu and finding him again. Coming across him at the vampire invasion of Shinjuku he would have what the vampires told him confirmed that Yu had been experimented on and was being used by the humans. Unable to retrieve him, Mika was tasked by Krul to go undercover where if caught he would be traitor to both humans and vampires.
Mika would seek out Yu at Nagoya and fight through the Moon Demon Company to rescue him. Pained by blood loss, he would become a complete vampire by drinking Yu's blood and recover from his injuries. He assists Yu and his squad escape both the vampires and Japanese Imperial Demon Army who had completed their seraph of the end experiments.
|Note: This is the page for Mika in the anime, for the article detailing Mika in other formats see: Mikaela Hyakuya.|
As an eight-year-old human child prior to the Apocalypse, Mika appears wearing short jean shorts and a white hoodie over a collared shirt. Sometimes, he is also shown wearing an over-sized jean jacket. He has short, wavy blond hair and blue eyes, which gives him the appearance of a foreigner in Japan. He is considered to be very handsome and has muscular built as a vampire at the age of 16.
As a twelve-year-old human living as livestock, Mika wears the standard livestock uniform that consists of the Capri shorts, hooded shirt, and collar and shoes.
After becoming an incomplete vampire, he grows fangs yet his eyes remain blue. These turn red after drinking a human's blood, Yu's at which point he becomes a complete vampire. When he is sixteen, his hair reaches down to his shoulders.
For clothing Mika begins wearing the standard uniform of the vampire soldiers. It consists of a black collared shirt with cuffs and white trim. He keeps it buttoned over his neck and held in place with the vampire insignia. Over the black shirt, he wears the white military jacket with black trim and decorated buttons. It also has the black piece of the vampires on the left shoulder and black cuffs with white buttons that nearly reach up to his elbows. He wears white gloves and has a thick black belt encircling his waist, and he wears two smaller belts below it forming an X over his posterior and front.
He also keeps his sword at his left hip. He wears white pants with black boots reaching up to his upper thighs. Mika often wears the standard vampire white cloak with a hood as well. The gold decoration on it has blue gems hanging from its chains.
As a child, he was selfless, friendly, and outgoing. Mika approached Yu to welcome him to orphanage and reacted to Yu's anger with empathy. His family were important to him, not even minding living in a vampire city since they were together. Mika would take practical measures to provide food for them by offering his own blood to a vampire. He explained to Yu that they need to use their heads if they are going to survive. Mika's altruistic nature and concern for his family were what motivated him to steal both a map and gun before he led them to escape from the city since Yu did not like it there. After it became clear that the scenario was not going to happen, Mika reminded Yu they were family and ran towards Ferid with the gun to give Yu a chance to escape. He was happy that Yu acknowledged they were family and managed to escape.
He was against being turned into a vampire, yet not having a choice and living with the trauma of what happened to his family. His vampirism is a concern, and he appeared troubled when Yu was proceeding with the topic on whether he was human. Mika is resilient, physically as well, as when he shows little signs of pain after being stabbed through the body
Both when he was a human child and then a vampire later, Mika uses the term of leaving “this world” behind. In addition, he retains the desire to leave places that are dangerous to Yu behind in favour of living peacefully far from threats. Whilst, he was happy to adapt to living in the vampire city, and could survive as a vampire in a hostile world, helping Yu came first.
His seriousness, or bravery, stops him being afraid of extremely dangerous scenarios. Mika was not concerned with lethal spell tag attacks on himself, neither many armed soldiers. Weakened and defenseless, Mika also displayed no fear to a Four Horseman of John that was prepared to bite into him.
After becoming a complete vampire, he expressed happiness.
Mika was present when Yu was introduced by the director of the Hyakuya Orphanage as their newest family. Bringing Ako and another orphan with him, he greeted Yu, and said as an orphan too he knows how he feels. Mika was sad at first, but now he has a big family and if Yu would like then he can be a part of it. Hearing about Yu’s troubled experiences with his family, Mika empathetically understands it must have been really hard and offers his hand as starting today everything is going to get better.
For the comprehensive account of Mika's experiences in the Seraph of the End anime view:
Powers and Abilities
Being a vampire, and one being turned by the third progenitor, Krul Tepes, Mika is afforded with supernaturally powerful strength and speed. He is able to avoid the detonation from a spell tag and partake in incredibly fast battling styles. Mika is agile and can leap to great heights. His regenerative capabilities allow him to heal wounds that would result in death for a regular person.
Where stronger vampire swords tend to have spikes that stab through the palm, Mika's weapon has thorny red vines that emerge from the lower two holes in the golden colored pommel to wrap around his hand. The silver blade is soaked red, as it draws upon blood to bolster Mika's capabilities to even greater heights. Even when not powered, the sword can emit destructive ranged attacks against multiple targets.
- Main article: Mikaela Hyakuya/Relationships
- Main article: Mikaela Hyakuya/Image Gallery/Anime
- "I don't think it's all that bad to be honest. At least we're alive. And more importantly we get to live with our family. Don't you think that's enough?" - Fine with life in the vampire city, that they are alive and with family is enough.1
- "It's like talking to a wall with you. That stubborn streak won't keep them away from your neck." - Responding to Yu who says he is not the vampire's livestock, and ignoring what Mika feels they have in regards to being able to be with their family.1
- "Please sir! Ignore him. You see he's just a harmless moron. I'll take care of him, I swear this won't happen again." - Attempting to have a vampire let Yu go after he tackled one.1
- "Oh I don't know if that's a good idea, he's shy." - Covering for Yu and answering for him when Ferid questions whether Yu will also be coming to his mansion.1
- "Yeah, yeah, you keep fooling yourself. Look, I get that you're angry but you need to be more careful, okay?" - Unconvinced at Yu's rhetoric of fighting the vampires, Mika then reminds Yu to be more careful with the way he is feeling.
- "Of course he does. We have a deal, I give him blood and he gives me whatever I want. Plus he serves dinner when I visit. It might seem wrong to you but you've got to use your head if you want to survive in this place." - Candidly up front about Ferid knowing him since Mika is willingly providing his blood. Using his head to survive in the vampire city is to provide food for his orphanage family.1
- "Hey Yu. My names Mikaela. I'm an orphan too so I know how you feel. I was sad at first but now I have a big family! If you like, you could be a part of it." - Remembering how Mika introduced himself to Yu when he arrived at the orphanage, and after hearing Yu's angered reply: "Wow, that must have been really hard. But starting today everything is going to get better!"1
- "I don't want to hear it. These kids look up to you. They hang on your every word. "We can beat the fangs", "we won't lose", it gives them hope. It gives all of us hope." - Dismissing Yu's feeling that the vampires are impossible to beat and quoting Yu's sayings that inspire their family, and Mika himself.1
- "Ferid's mansion is as big as a castle. It took forever just to find anything useful. The great Michaela doesn't give his blood away for a pat on the back, he gets his dues. Anyway, that all stops now. We're leaving tonight. I already know what you're going to say but don't worry, I've got it all planned out." - Describing Ferid's mansion and unveiling his escape plan from the city, that is to take place that night.1
- "As long as the Hyakuya family works together, everything will turn out okay." - Certain they can find a cure for the virus that is outside in the world.1
- "Great, let's go! Akane go wake everybody up. It's time we said goodbye to this city!" - Pleased Yu agreed to the escape plan from the vampire city, and arranging for everyone to be gathered.1
- "It's okay Yu. Don't forget. The two of us, we're family." - His calm and peaceful words to Yu after their family had been murdered, and before he took the gun to use on Ferid.1
- "Jeez would you quit walking so fast? Wait up, I'm family, don't abandon me, Yu! Sorry, no can do. The director said everyone from the Hyakuya Orphanage is family, so shut up and deal with it!" - His enthusiastic desire to be family with Yu is remembered.2
- "You had us worried there, Yu. But I'm glad you made a new friend. Now we can stop worrying about you. Don't you get it? We don't want you to live for revenge. You're way too nice to go through that. Listen. You need to take good care of your new friend, okay? Well, we've got to get going." - Mika speaks for their family in the transcendent exit hall where they died. Providing solace to Yu, Mika is contented that four years later Yu has managed to make a new friend.2
- "You can have the body if you want it. Credit means nothing to me." - Responding to Rene after he assumes Mika took a Four Horseman of John down before they could land any blows themselves to gain glory.4
- "You always want to do stuff that will get us in trouble. There's no way we could beat the vampires in a frontal assault. Outsmarting them is the only way to go. I actually have an escape plan already. We can run away from the vampires together." - A memory of Mika as a child and his plan coming together.4
- "I had so much hope in the time before my humanity ended. But then, it was because of this foolish hope that everything fell apart." - Then reflecting on the outcome where Mika feels his humanity ended when he became a vampire.4
- "I'm happy... I can leave this world in peace, knowing you've escaped." - Remembering feeling something positive after his family died but Yu had escaped the vampire city after Ferid trapped them.4
- "That was the moment. I lost my humanity." - His thoughts on the precise moment he became a vampire when Krul gave him her blood.
- “And why should I follow those rules? They didn’t stop you from drinking my blood. You didn’t hesitate.” - Speaking to Ferid, and where the vampire's rules did not help Mika.9
- ”I had no idea that I was playing into your hands, or that my family would be killed to amuse you. How many humans have been slaughtered just because you got a little bored?” - After being taunted with how it worked out for him when Mika offered his blood, to gain a map and gun to escape.9
- "I'm not upset. At least not at you. I'm angry with myself because I didn't have the power to protect my family." - Whether he feels it but will not give Ferid the satisfaction, Mika denies he is angry at the vampire who murdered his family and holds the blame on himself for something he had no control over.9
- “I would rather die as a human, than live as a vampire!” - Adamant that he will not drink human blood to become a complete vampire when Krul had human blood ready for that purpose.9
- “I’ve got ten days worth of Krul’s blood. I have to find Yu before I run out.” - Mika keeps vials of Krul’s blood, and is searching for Yu. 9
- “If we could escape from this place, what would you want to do? Where would you want to go?” - And hearing from Yu if they headed outside the virus would kill them Mika added: “use your imagination. If we could escape to the outside with the rest of the family. If we could go to a place without any vampires then, don’t you think we would have fun?” - Such a conversation was in mind for when Mika was arranging for them to escape their captivity.
- "I can do this on my own." - If he were rejecting the idea of fighting alongside Ferid, or because he believes it, Mika was prepared to fight Lieutenant Colonel, Guren Ichinose by himself.10
- “He will regret coming to attack me. It will be his undoing. My sword!” - His response for Guren heading his way, and invoking his sword to release its thorned vines to drink his blood in preparation10
- "I evaded the blast. And besides, do you really think old school spell craft works on vampires?" - A response that asserts his capabilities after Guren's stated that he landed a cursed spell tag on Mika, then adding whether Guren thought that would even work to deny him any sense of superiority.10
- “What are you getting at? There’s no way I’ll lose against him.” - Not sure what Ferid means about having a rug yanked under him in his battle with Guren. Mika was unaware Shigure was also preparing a wide area kunai trap in a fight that was never one on one.10
- “I don’t need your help. I know what their strategy is now. My sword, drink more of my blood” - Rejecting Ferid's offer of help again and knowing Guren's tactics that also included Goshi, Mika prepares his weapon further.10
- “Are you done talking yet? I want to get this over with.” - Asking if Guren is done speaking to Sayuri regarding cursed gear stimulants.10
- “I’m not holding anything back from now on.” - Observed by Guren to be faster.
- “You shouldn’t taunt someone stronger than you, it’s not smart!”10
- “Another reckless human, what annoying pests.” - His reaction to humans coming close without seeing this one, and his words on Yu’s voice after not seeing him in four years.10
- “If you so much as try to lay a finger on him, I’ll kill you!” - Livid and grabbing Ferid's neck when he suggests using his blood to turn Yu into a vampire.11
- “I’m not surprised you’ve made new friends. You’ve always been such a kind soul.” - Fond thoughts on Yu as Mika sees him with new people around him.11
- “The truth is, these friends you’ve made are faking it. They’re greedy and deceitful, all of them." - Further thoughts on Yu's squad members.
- “Let’s go. Leave everything behind and escape with me.” - Finally having gained access to Yu.11
- "You're wrong! They only see you as a tool! Please Yu, trust me. I'm trying to save you before it's too late!" - When Yu feels he needs to stay and help his friends, Mika see them differently, as something to protect Yu from.11
- “Just forget about them, in the end they’ll betray you and toss you aside.” Mika holds Yu as he beseeches him to leave behind people who are using Yu, in his mind.
- “It’s true, the humans have been using him all along.” - Mika’s sees his confirmation when Yu is transformed into a one black winged seraph.
- “No Yu, don’t do it! You’d never be able to forgive yourself!” - Holding a negative view towards humans, Mika endures the sword meant for Shinoa not to save her but because he was taking Yu’s mental reaction into account and suspected he would be troubled if he did.
- “Shut up human, this is happening because you used him!” - Responding to why he saved Shinoa, disparagingly addressing her as human and holding Shinoa accountable for Yu's altered state.
- “Don’t you dare touch him. Get your filthy hands off my family!” - Enraged when Shinoa hugged Yu and viewing him as family.
- “These are the first tears I’ve shed since becoming a vampire.” - Awakening in the curse detoxification chamber after seeing Yu at the city of Shinjuku.
- “Yu. I swear on everything. I’ll save you." - A promise to save Yu from the humans.12
- “You were supposed to kill Yuichiro and me. So what are you playing at by letting us live?” - Raising what he heard at the progenitor council meeting with Krul.
- “If you’re going to end up hurting Yu then I’ll put a stop to this right now!” - Words for his blood benefactor and one of the few vampires he is close to, Krul. Mika does not demonstrate the means of stopping the third progenitor and vampire queen of Japan who sired him.
- “I understand. I’ll save Yu from the vampires, and from the humans as well.” - Without question accepting a secret mission from Krul where failure would result in him being a traitor to both sides.15
- “Hello Human. You’re going to answer some questions for me.” - How he speaks to Aihara he has captured in Nagoya, and seeking information on Yu.
- “Keep quiet. Pretend you’re dead too. You don’t want the other vampires to find out you’re alive. I’ll let you go if you answer my questions truthfully, got it?” - Initiating a ruse with Aihara to gain intel and keep her alive when vampires are attacking other humans nearby.
- “I’m going to take a different route. This human may have been scared for her life but we can’t take her word alone. Let me borrow five soldiers and I’ll go see what’s happening at city hall just in case.” - With Lacus and Rene headed to the botanical gardens on a false lead, Mika breaks away from them to find Yu reported as heading for Nagoya’s city hall.
- “That story protected Yu. Maybe you were his comrade. No, you probably just used him like all the others do.” - Unbeknownst to him, Aihara was friendly in her brief interaction with Yu and was a comrade in the joint mission targeting vampire nobles, yet Mika concluded she was using him.
- “Okay, follow me. Let’s see what’s going on at city hall.” - Directing the five borrowed vampire soldiers under his command.18
- “No, I’m afraid this is as far as any of you will go.” - Rather than allow the vampires under his command to enter Nagoya city hall to search fro humans to drink from, Mika kills them all instead.20
- “Now then. Where are you my friend.” - Not discouraged that Yu is not at city hall, Mika retains his goal to find Yu.20
- “You’re going to give me back my family. No matter what!” - Mika has found Yu, but he is at the back of a huge group of armed soldiers.
- “This isn’t real! They’re not going to keep me from you!” - Whether recognising the mist or though sheer resolve to retrieve Yu, Mika presses through Goshi’s illusionary magic that shows his legs melting. 21
- “You’d protect me, because you know that I’m his family?” - Genuinely bewildered that Shinoa squad is protecting him due to his connection with Yu.21
- “You heard her, let’s move.” - Speaking to Yu as he is unconscious and accepting Shinoa’s escape path with no further hostilities to the squad.21
- “Can’t fight it. I need blood! The thirst is too painful, I can’t take it!” - A very real physical pain from not having blood.22
- “No you don’t understand. There’s no going back if I do that. If I drink human blood, even a drop… I’ll be a complete vampire. One who will never age. There won’t be a shred of humanity left in me.” - Part of Mika’s reluctance to drink Yu’s blood, and feeling becoming a vampire correlates with utterly losing his humanity.22
- “I said no, dammit! I’ve been fighting it so long with everything in my power. I don’t want to be a monster. I don’t want you to see me as some grotesque creature. So I’ve swallowed down my thirst, it wasn’t easy, and now…” - Further hesitations, and resisting drinking human blood for some time. 22
- “It’s weird right. All of this. Everything, drinking your family’s blood just to stay alive. It’s not normal.” - His words after becoming a complete vampire who drinks Yu’s blood. Mika’s opinion of ‘normal’ in a world of vampires, demons and seraphs.22
- “Never thought I’d become a real vampire.” - After four years as a partial one surviving on vampire’s blood, Mika didn’t think he would complete the change.22
- “Oh the irony. I fought all this time because I thought you needed saving. But you’re the strong one, because you have changed in some ways.” - On Yu, his driving force and someone he has seen changes in. When Yu insists he has always been the strong one, Mika is beyond doubt: “No, you used to be a real big crybaby.”22
- “You may think that but this Guren guy you keep talking about is just using you.” - In response to Yu saying if he has changed it is because of Guren’s training.
- “What is it?” - He would hear Yu’s favour concerns helping his team mates.
- “Think about this! You can’t go back to those humans!” - Disturbed that Yu is walking away intending to rescue his team-mates.
- “Just hear me out first, I’m begging you. Please, Yu. Would you stop worrying about those humans and start paying attention to me?” - Intermittently trying to get Yu’s attention as he focuses on finding his squad.22
- “I don’t know what kind of awful brain washing they put you through. But I can’t let you go back to the army.” - Mika’s guidance for Yu before he comments on the army: “They’re evil. They’ve been experimenting on you and me since we were just kids.” - Showing an awareness of an “army” that has participated in human experimentation.22
- “You’re such a hypocrite! You said I had to survive even if it meant becoming a vampire!” - An unnerved response to Yu boldly stating he would rather die than fail to defend his family.22
- “I think I’ve met the people you are talking about.” - Initially against the very idea, Mika resolves to help and refers to Shinoa squad.
- “Only your friends. I’ll help the four of them.” - But only those four humans.22
- “The humans have ulterior motives. They’re using you as a test subject for experimentation. The experiment will have far reaching consequences. And as a result, humans and vampires across the globe are targeting you.” - Conscious that human experiments on Yu have drawn other groups, and aware of powers abroad. With Yu joking, Mika adds: “This is serious. It’s the same experiment that messed up the world. The reason all the adults died years ago. It almost made humans extinct.” - And he possesses knowledge of that world ruining calamity.22
- “No Yu, we didn’t do any of this. We were innocent kids who were being used.” - Alleviating Yu’s concerns, and not having him shoulder the blame for the momentous transgressions of others.
- “The Hyakuya Orphanage where we lived was nothing but a laboratory. After it was gone, the Japanese Imperial Demon Army took over the experimentation. The experiments called “Seraph of the End” - Imparting the truth to Yu and knowing the history of these two factions.
- “Humans are such ugly creatures. They’re animals driven by greed, only concerned with making themselves stronger. They’ll hurt anyone to get more power, I can’t leave you in the hands of people like that.” - Ingrained preconceptions about humans and rationalizing them as dangerous, something to protect Yu from. Seriously at odds with his views and own kind-hearted actions before becoming a vampire, and his frame of mind after four years with vampires.22
- “If the wrong people have you under control they could use you to end this world in a heartbeat.” - A particularly legitimate concern Mika has for Yu, and Mika offers his wish for Yu to “Run away with me instead. We’ll make a new home, somewhere secluded, far away from this war.”22
- “I told you. We shouldn’t have come, this is a huge mess. Humans attacking other humans, just look.” - Finding the scene at Nagoya airport where Kureto has decimated the surviving Moon Demon Company members with long spiked rods.23
- “Yeah, they’re not paying attention to us anymore. This is our chance to escape.” - Adding to what Shinya was saying, recognizing the Demon Army and vampires are focused on one another and thinking strategically in a precarious situation involving two hostile armies.
- “This is what happens when you put your trust in humans!” - A generalisation about humans made in the heat of a tense moment as Mika defends Yu from Guren’s sword. Also Guren is at this point more demon than human.
- “He’s like a different person.” - His view of Guren’s increased strength. Mika is also literally correct, Guren has been possessed by Mahiru-no-Yo.
- “This is the end of it all. There’s no future for any of us now. MOVE!” - Taking Yu to safety, aware of what the demon Abaddon’s presence amongst them means. The "MOVE!" part was directed at a Four Horseman of John in Mika's way but he does not give it a chance to move before destroying it completely.24
- “No, that won’t help me, there’s something about this demon that affects my healing.” - Feeling that Abaddon is the cause of his suppressed healing so drinking Yu’s blood will not help.24
- “You can save yourself. Look at that thing. There’s no way we can take it down. Your family is in danger. Go save them.” - Resigning himself, Mika issues practical guidance to help make sure Yu is okay.24
- “More will follow them, hurry!” - Mika does not try and take Yu from Shinoa squad, rather defends them from the pursuing Imperial Demon Army members as they retreat together.
- He calls Yūichirō by the nickname "Yu-chan" (優ちゃん Yū-chan?) in Japanese.
- Mikaela is a Latin name meaning "Gift from God" or "God-like."
- Hyakuya「百夜」means "hundred nights."