Owari no Seraph (終わりのセラフ Owari no Serafu?, also known as Seraph of the End or Seraph of the End: Vampire Reign) is a Japanese dark fantasy manga series written by Takaya Kagami and illustrated by Yamato Yamamoto with storyboards by Daisuke Furuya.
The series is set in a world where a deadly virus has wiped out most of humanity, allowing vampires to enslave the rest of the human race. It tells the story of an orphaned boy named Yūichirō Hyakuya trying to rid the world of the vampires by joining the Japanese Imperial Demon Army.
It was first serialized by Shueisha in Jump Square on September 3, 2012. Viz Media began serializing the series in English in Weekly Shonen Jump on October 7, 2013 with the subtitle Vampire Reign.
An anime adaptation by Wit Studio was announced on August 28, 2014. Funimation then licensed it in English and began playing the subtitled episodes the same day they were released in Japan. A few weeks after the episodes began airing, episodes dubbed in English were released as well. The first cour of the anime aired in Japan from April 4 to June 20, 2015. The second cour of the anime aired from October 10 to December 26, 2015.
Years ago, a lethal virus spreads across the world, wiping out most of humanity and allowing vampires to enslave the remainder of the human race.
For the next four years, Yūichirō Hyakuya and his fellow orphans at the Hyakuya Orphanage are treated as livestock, only being allowed to live for their blood. Desperate for freedom, Yūichirō and his best friend Mikaela hatch a plan to escape with their family to the outside world, hopefully free from vampires—only for their attempts to end in tragedy.
As the only one to make it out alive, Yūichirō joins the Japanese Imperial Demon Army — Japan's only hope against the vampires — in order to exact revenge on the vampires who killed his family.
Chapters and Volumes
- Main article: Chapters and Volumes
- Main article: Story Arcs
- Main article: Owari no Seraph Manga Story by Chapter
- Seraph of the End was nominated under the best Shōnen manga category at the 40th annual Kodansha Manga awards (My Hero Academia, Noragami, and the winning Days were the other contenders).
- Seraph of the End. Viz Media.
- Kure-nai Manga Ends as Artist & Itsu-ten Creator Start New Manga. Anime News Network (June 2, 2012).
- Viz's Weekly Shonen Jump Adds Seraph of the End Manga. Anime News Network (October 7, 2013).
- Seraph of the End by The Legend of the Legendary Heroes' Kagami Gets TV Anime. Anime News Network (August 28, 2014).
- 40th Annual Kodansha Manga Awards' Nominees Announced. Anime News Network (April 4, 2016).
- Owari no Seraph's official site (closed down)
- Owari no Seraph (@owarino_seraph) on
- Weekly Shonen Jump website (English)
- Jump Square website (Japanese)